Go green for Earth Day
April 16, 2011 (CHICAGO) -- Earth Day is on Friday, April 22, and it promotes a green spirit and eco-friendly thinking. There are a lot of events in our area to mark the day.
Bianca Alexander with Conscious Living was in our ABC7 studio to tell us about a few events. She also gave tips we can use in our daily lives to help protect the environment.
1. Green up your wardrobe
The Green Goddess Boutique is in Hinsdale and now also in Lincoln Park. The store sells jewelry, accessories, home goods and apparel that are recycled, re-purposed, fair trade or produced by local artisans.
The Green Goddess Boutique
1009 W. Armitage Avenue
52 S. Washington Street
2. Use green power
- Buy rechargeable, reusable batteries.
- Energizer offers solar-powered products, such as hybrid flashlights and solar-powered chargers that refuel almost any personal electronic device even with low levels of sunlight or overcast days.
- Energizer's also teamed up with the National Park Foundation, so when you buy special-marked products, you'll get a $10 reward that can be turned into a donation.
3. Get Outdoors
There are dozens of fun Earth Day activities happening all over Chicago.
Green Metropolis Fair
Saturday, April 16
Irish American Heritage Center
4626 N. Knox
Earth Day 5K Run and Green Living Expo
Saturday, April 23
Chicago Green Festival
Saturday, May 14
Sunday, May 15
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Combat Hate app launches in Chicago
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines underway
- Olympic medalist welcomed back to Buffalo Grove school
- Ed Burke reflects after over 40 years as Alderman
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos