Teaching Kids To Learn
September 3, 2011 (CHICAGO) -- It is not always easy to engage children in learning, but one author has written a book with tips for parents and teachers to do just that.
Dr. Anne Grall Reichel joined us in our ABC7 studio to talk about "Expect More: Children Can Do Remarkable Things." She wants to invite adults to regenerate the entrepreneurial spirit in children.
Reichel is an independent educational consultant working with school districts throughout northern Illinois. She serves as an adjunct faculty member in the education department at Lake Forest College.
Dr. Reichel's Tips:
1. Model! Model! Model!
When our children see us pick up a book, a nook or go to the Web to research something we are uncertain about, we model the importance of learning for a lifetime.
2. Stop Enabling and Start Challenging Your Child
As children work their way through challenges, they build the confidence needed to embrace the next challenge that comes along.
3. Insist On Evidence
When your child makes a claim about a phenomenon, insist upon evidence to support the claim.
4. Bring Back Dinner Conversation
Resist the temptation to eat dinner with your cell phone at the table and the television blaring in the background.
For more information, check out www.childrencandoremarkablethings.com
- Woman sexually abused in Mayfair park 32 min ago
- Ind. beaches close after substance found in water
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat have no room for error
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- Supreme Court grants Madigan more time on guns
- Lombard's Los Burritos Mexicanos still closed after E. coli cases
- Might you be overpaying for smartphone data? 37 min ago
- Bruins beat Blackhawks in NHL finals Game 3
- UofC biochem student missing 6 days
- Report: Special session on pension to cost $40K a day
- Car slams into Sauk Village apartment, sleeping couple injured 7 min ago
- Man tried to sexually assault girl, 14, at gunpoint: Police
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- Lunch Break
- Woman sexually abused in Mayfair park
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos