Exercises for Student Athletes
August 18, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- It's time to head back to school, and that means back to training sessions for student athletes.
But after a long summer break, it might be tough to get back in the game. Tami Conway, Owner, The Dailey Method Bucktown (www.thedaileymethod.com/)), and Katie Schott, a swimmer from Lake Forest, came into our ABC7 studio to show a few safe exercises.
Pull right knee into right shoulder, and come back to plank.
Pull left knee into left shoulder, and come back to plank.
By keeping stable this will target the obliques.
Bend the knees, and stretch them long.
Start slow, and then speed it up.
2. Seat Work on All Fours:
Sit up with your wrists under your shoulders and your knees under your hips; shift your weight back slightly to create an angle with your wrists.
Slightly tilt the pelvis up towards your rib cage to keep core engaged, and extend your right leg straight behind you.
Lift it up without moving your hips until you feel your seat engage.
This is your contraction.
Create small tiny movements, down an inch and up an inch to intensify contraction 20 times
Bend your knee in half to work the hamstring as well as your seat
Squeeze your heel into your seat, and press up into ceiling
Open your hip to a 45-degree angle
Reengage your abdominals and lift up into the ceiling
3. Mat Stretch:
Start in lunge
Keep front knee aligned perfectly over the front foot, with the back foot reaching behind
Open the hip
Bring arms up, inhale (2, 3, 4), exhale and look up towards hands/ lean back slightly, inhale (2, 3, 4), exhale
Arms back to center, shift weight back to half split in N/ S, inhale, 2, 3, 4, and exhale 2, 3, 4.
Hands down to floor slowly to elongation stretch
4. Thighs and weights:
Step your feet out as wide as you can
Align your knees directly over the center of your feet
10 bicep curls while going down and up with legs
10 chest presses going all the way up and all the way down with arms
Arms should move in opposition to legs (arms up as knees come down, elbows to ribs as you stand all the way up, engaging inner thighs and seat)
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie 45 min ago
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated 13 min ago
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Libertyville man, 66, claims attack by hospital security 49 min ago
- Indiana soldier among 6 dead in Afghanistan crash
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Ga lottery winner to get Mega Millions $120M lump sum
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- 7 in :77
48 min ago
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie
45 min ago
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to...
13 min ago