August 19, 2012 (CHICAGO) -- Summer break is over, and as students head back to school, many are also returning to their athletic schedules. But staying fit isn't just a matter of working out. Nutrition is also important.
Registered dietitian Christine Palumbo (www.ChristinePalumbo.com), Good Sense Eating columnist for Chicago Parent magazine and a paid consultant to the California Raisin Marketing Board, says this is really a great opportunity to get young people engaged in talking about good nutrition and how they should be eating. She came into our ABC7 studio kitchen to show a recipe for a healthy snack.
- eat a good mix of protein, fat, and carbohydrate
- 55 percent - 60 percent of the calories should come from carbohydrate, 20-35 percent or less from fat, and 15-20 percent from protein
- carbs are the body's main energy source
- make an inside-out sandwich: spread mustard on a slice of deli turkey, and wrap it around a sesame breadstick; take plain Greek yogurt, and top with chopped walnuts and a drizzle of honey Christine's Recipe: Raisin Peanut Butter Roll Ups
6 whole wheat flour tortillas (8 inches)
6 tblsps smooth peanut butter
3/4 cup raisins
1. Warm tortillas on a hot griddle to soften enough for rolling.
2. Arrange on cutting board, and spread 1 tablespoon peanut butter evenly over each.
3. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of raisins evenly on top of peanut butter.
4. Roll up tightly. Slice diagonally 1/2 -inch thick.
5. Serve immediately or wrap and pack into lunch box for later.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories 230 (30 percent from fat); Total Fat 9g (sat 1.5g, mono 4g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 8g; Carbohydrate 38g; (Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 16g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 180mg; Calcium 23mg; Potassium 342mg
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- $1.5M boat catches fire, trespasser arrested
- Distance not the issue with CPS safe passage
- South Loop shooting injures 2
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Free Sunday parking plan faces scrutiny
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos