Dog Nutrition Tips
August 26, 2012 -- Sunday, August 26, 2012, is National Dog Day, but with 40 percent of U.S. pets overweight, you might want to think twice before you serve up a cake for Fido!
So how can you keep your dog slender and healthy? Carolyn and Greg Alonzo, co-owners of Fetch! Pet Care in Chicago (http://chicago.fetchpetcare.com/), came into our studio to share tips.
Human food that are OK to give as a special treat:
- Cooked Egg Pieces
What are signs of obesity on a dog?
- Feel the ribs
We should be able to quite easily feel the ribs.
There should be a slight amount of fat over them, but each rib should be distinct.
If you can see the ribs, the pet is too thin.
If you cannot feel them at all, the pet is very overweight.
- Check the tail
There should be a slight fat covering over the base of the tail and it should feel smooth.
If the bones protrude, the pet is too thin; if you cannot feel any bones at all, the pet is very overweight.
- Look at your dog from the side
Dogs should have an abdominal tuck, i.e., the area behind the ribs should be smaller in diameter than the chest.
An animal that is too thin will have a very severe abdominal tuck.
Overweight animals will have no abdominal tuck.
Tips: - Exercise your dog - even during the work day
- Play with your pet (Throw the toys around)
- 17-year-old boy killed in Austin shooting 5 min ago
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student 15 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 25 min ago
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- $1.5M boat catches fire, trespasser arrested
- South Loop shooting injures 2
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Free Sunday parking plan faces scrutiny
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- Andersonville's Hopleaf expands gastropub menu
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
25 min ago
- Second video allegedly shows guard push...
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos