Dog Nutrition Tips
August 26, 2012 -- Sunday, August 26, 2012, is National Dog Day, but with 40 percent of U.S. pets overweight, you might want to think twice before you serve up a cake for Fido!
So how can you keep your dog slender and healthy? Carolyn and Greg Alonzo, co-owners of Fetch! Pet Care in Chicago (http://chicago.fetchpetcare.com/), came into our studio to share tips.
Human food that are OK to give as a special treat:
- Cooked Egg Pieces
What are signs of obesity on a dog?
- Feel the ribs
We should be able to quite easily feel the ribs.
There should be a slight amount of fat over them, but each rib should be distinct.
If you can see the ribs, the pet is too thin.
If you cannot feel them at all, the pet is very overweight.
- Check the tail
There should be a slight fat covering over the base of the tail and it should feel smooth.
If the bones protrude, the pet is too thin; if you cannot feel any bones at all, the pet is very overweight.
- Look at your dog from the side
Dogs should have an abdominal tuck, i.e., the area behind the ribs should be smaller in diameter than the chest.
An animal that is too thin will have a very severe abdominal tuck.
Overweight animals will have no abdominal tuck.
Tips: - Exercise your dog - even during the work day
- Play with your pet (Throw the toys around)
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin 2 min ago
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Truck driver released after boy dies in Ind. hit-and-run
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 52 min ago
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- Waukegan couple's spat yields 16-officer response, 2 hurt
- Chelsea Clinton expecting 1st child 20 min ago
- US decries anti-Semitic leaflets in Ukraine
- Blackhawks set for playoffs Thursday with STL Blues Game 1
- Chicago Bulls launch 'SEE RED' playoff campaign
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos