Social Media Safety
July 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- From Facebook, to Twitter and Instagram, the presence of social media in children's' lives has become more and more prevalent.
Social networking has its advantages like strengthening connections with family and friends. But with cyber bullying, cyber stalking and revealing pictures and information, social media can also lead to big problems. Teens are unaware of some of the consequences of what they are posting. 43% of teens reported an incident of cyber bullying in the past year. Tracy Repchuk, the author of "Social Media Safety for Kids, What Every Parent Must Know" has created a "Safe Formula" to help parents:
Get your free copy of "Social Media Safety for Kids" at socialmediasafetyforkids.com
Secure your data: parents need to know the settings in Twitter and Facebook as they change often and your child's private information could be wide open.
Ask questions: communicate with your kids about the effects of internet and social media. If there is something you don't like up there, ask them about it.
Fans aren't always friends: be careful you tell what to. Not all fans should be trusted.
Educate them on issues that can happen from accepting people they don't know such as cyber bullying, cyber stalking, and the long term effects of their posts.
- Signs of Social Media Issues:
- Appearing sad, moody or anxious
- Avoiding school
- Withdrawing from social activities
- Experiencing a drop in grades
- Appearing upset after using the computer or getting a text message
More Information about Tracy Repchuk:
Repchuk is a bestselling author and the founder of Social Media Safety for Kids. She is an online technology and social media strategist and is an award winning technology entrepreneur since 1985. Repchuk graduated in IT in 1985 and started a software company, and has a CMA accounting designation has been working on the internet since 1995 where she developed software, websites and SEO strategies for this environment. As a result she has an intimate understanding of how to integrate and plan a cohesive strategy to market and run a business so you can fast track your marketing with internet domination, social media automation and instant expert recognition.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Employees, customers prepare for Dominick's final days 10 min ago
- Midlothian's The Tint Shop burglarized 3 times in 1 night 49 min ago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013 21 min ago
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- Me You & Her raises money for Chicago food banks
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos