Social Media Safety
July 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- From Facebook, to Twitter and Instagram, the presence of social media in children's' lives has become more and more prevalent.
Social networking has its advantages like strengthening connections with family and friends. But with cyber bullying, cyber stalking and revealing pictures and information, social media can also lead to big problems. Teens are unaware of some of the consequences of what they are posting. 43% of teens reported an incident of cyber bullying in the past year. Tracy Repchuk, the author of "Social Media Safety for Kids, What Every Parent Must Know" has created a "Safe Formula" to help parents:
Get your free copy of "Social Media Safety for Kids" at socialmediasafetyforkids.com
Secure your data: parents need to know the settings in Twitter and Facebook as they change often and your child's private information could be wide open.
Ask questions: communicate with your kids about the effects of internet and social media. If there is something you don't like up there, ask them about it.
Fans aren't always friends: be careful you tell what to. Not all fans should be trusted.
Educate them on issues that can happen from accepting people they don't know such as cyber bullying, cyber stalking, and the long term effects of their posts.
- Signs of Social Media Issues:
- Appearing sad, moody or anxious
- Avoiding school
- Withdrawing from social activities
- Experiencing a drop in grades
- Appearing upset after using the computer or getting a text message
More Information about Tracy Repchuk:
Repchuk is a bestselling author and the founder of Social Media Safety for Kids. She is an online technology and social media strategist and is an award winning technology entrepreneur since 1985. Repchuk graduated in IT in 1985 and started a software company, and has a CMA accounting designation has been working on the internet since 1995 where she developed software, websites and SEO strategies for this environment. As a result she has an intimate understanding of how to integrate and plan a cohesive strategy to market and run a business so you can fast track your marketing with internet domination, social media automation and instant expert recognition.
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash 32 min ago
- Malaysia jet may have turned back 7 min ago
- Near-death experience inspires businessman
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- 6 shot at party in Austin
- PM won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Interpol: Database not checked pre-Malaysia flight 34 min ago
- No consensus on notifying victims of data breaches
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- Video: Newsviews - Tom Cross 50 min ago
- Video: Newsviews - Bob Grogan 50 min ago
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
- 2 hurt in Edgewater crash
32 min ago
- Newsviews - Tom Cross
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos