Balancing College, Work, Social Life
January 12, 2014 --
A lot of them work part-time. So how do you balance classes, your job and your social life. Mathew Stewart, CEO College Works Painting, came into our ABC 7 Eyewitness News studio to share tips.
Set goals for each category:
- number of credit hours
- other academic considerations this semester
- How much money do you need to earn?
- How many hours a week do you hope to spend with friends?
Make a monthly calendar and stick to it:
- homework assignments
- project due dates
- work-related training
- personal events
Have a contingency plan:
- Make a shift-trading alliance with a co-worker: agree that you will trade shifts if one of you is up against an academic deadline
- Have a rainy day fund to offset expenses when you have to miss work because of school
Treat school like a job:
- Don't be tempted to skip out because of an unforeseen distraction.
- Show up.
Gain Practical Business Experience:
Seek opportunities that give you practical business experience that you can take with you beyond college.
- Verdict reached in Allan Kustok murder trial 14 min ago
- Photos: Farm animals rescued in Kane County 23 min ago
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Kane County relocating animals from Hampshire farm 19 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- 5 hurt in crash on Aurora bridge
- Netflix subscribers targeted in phishing scam 30 min ago
- Photos: Highest-paid musicians, according to...
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos