ABC7 celebrates St. Patrick's Day with hour-long parade broadcast
March 5, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On Sunday, March 14, everyone's Irish -- and ABC7 Chicago continued the celebration of a grand Chicago tradition with the 27th annual broadcast of the St. Patrick's Day Parade from 11am until Noon. Mike Caplan, Frank Mathie and Joel Daly teamed up to host ABC7's live coverage of the bagpipers, floats, marching bands and marching politicians that make this one of the most celebrated events in Chicago each year.
The Grand Marshal for this year was Bob Ryan, "the Voice" of the St. Patrick's Day Parade who has been announcing the parade units as they approach the reviewing stand for more than three decades. The official parade guest of honor was Pat Fitzgerald, head coach of the Northwestern Wildcats football team.
Twenty-seven bands, 70 floats, thousands of marchers and a few leprechauns were featured as the parade proceeded from Balbo Drive, north on Columbus Drive to Monroe Street. The ABC7 Chicago float was also part of the festivities featuring ABC7's Mark Giangreco, Tracy Butler, Ravi Baichwal, Stacey Baca, Mike Caplan and "Mr. Food."
The St. Patrick's Day Parade was broadcast in high definition and is available on demand at abc7chicago.com.
Christopher Bowen was the executive producer of the parade.
- Snow, bitter cold to make for messy commute
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Crews battle large fire in unoccupied Skokie building
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Lake Zurich lockdowns lifted after reported student with weapons
- Derrick Smith wants case thrown out for being too 'vague'
- Santa visits cancer patient at Northwestern Hospital
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year