ABC7 celebrates St. Patrick's Day with hour-long parade broadcast
March 5, 2010 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- On Sunday, March 14, everyone's Irish -- and ABC7 Chicago continued the celebration of a grand Chicago tradition with the 27th annual broadcast of the St. Patrick's Day Parade from 11am until Noon. Mike Caplan, Frank Mathie and Joel Daly teamed up to host ABC7's live coverage of the bagpipers, floats, marching bands and marching politicians that make this one of the most celebrated events in Chicago each year.
The Grand Marshal for this year was Bob Ryan, "the Voice" of the St. Patrick's Day Parade who has been announcing the parade units as they approach the reviewing stand for more than three decades. The official parade guest of honor was Pat Fitzgerald, head coach of the Northwestern Wildcats football team.
Twenty-seven bands, 70 floats, thousands of marchers and a few leprechauns were featured as the parade proceeded from Balbo Drive, north on Columbus Drive to Monroe Street. The ABC7 Chicago float was also part of the festivities featuring ABC7's Mark Giangreco, Tracy Butler, Ravi Baichwal, Stacey Baca, Mike Caplan and "Mr. Food."
The St. Patrick's Day Parade was broadcast in high definition and is available on demand at abc7chicago.com.
Christopher Bowen was the executive producer of the parade.
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20 40 min ago
- Students, teachers tearful as CPS closures begin 16 min ago
- Heat beat Spurs in Game 6, tie NBA Finals
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Special session expected to form pension committee
- Child luring alert issued in Albany Park
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- Kan. couple headed for Dwight, Ill., go missing, turn up lost... 25 min ago
- Firefighter convicted of wife murder still gets pension in prison 59 min ago
- Illinois' pension crisis, by the numbers
- Fed suggests it's closer to slowing bond purchases 29 min ago
- Museum of Science and Industry marks 80th birthday
- Chicago Shooting Count: 8 shot in 9 hours Monday
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- Lunch Break