The N Beat: Taking Care of Business
March 27, 2010 -- Hosted by Theresa Gutierrez, with special contributions by ABC7's John Garcia and Stacey Baca, THE N BEAT is an Emmy Award-winning series celebrating the accomplishments of Chicago's Latino community.
N BEAT: "TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS" airs Saturday, March 27 at 6:00 p.m. with an encore presentation on Sunday, March 28 at 2:00 p.m.
This edition of THE N BEAT will profile Latino entrepreneurs, who despite a lackluster economy, have succeeded in establishing thriving businesses here in Chicago.
Alicia Gonzalez is an avid marathon runner and the Executive Director of Chicago Run. Her love of the sport was part of the reason she launched the running program currently in place at 30 Chicago public schools.
Lou Sandoval is the co-owner of Karma Yacht Sales. Sandoval is the only Latino with a dealership in the Midwest specializing in Beneteau yachts and sailboats. Sandoval talks about his youth as a Boy Scout and credits that experience with sparking his passion for sailing.
Diego Rocha is a Brazilian-born artist who, while making Chicago his home, also made a name for himself designing women's handbags. Rocha shows off his beautifully designed custom handbags from his Chicago studio.
Nancy Andrade is the President and General Counsel of Mexifeast Foods, Inc. the family business she founded in 2003. Nancy shares her story about how she brought authentic Mexican tamales to Whole Foods and Jewel-Osco Stores.
Roman Villareal is a sculptor with 30-years plus of experience carving stone, alabaster and, more importantly, a legacy in South Chicago working with youth at the South Chicago Arts Center. A former steelworker, we get an intimate look at the artist at work in his studio.
Ricardo Salazar began his internet company "Arte Salazar" to market his custom handmade Jarana guitar. The guitar gives Son Jarocho, which is the folk music of Veracruz, Mexico, its distinctive sound. From a hollowed out piece of mahogany, Ricardo crafts new instruments from his home in Logan Square.
"The N Beat" is available on-demand at www.abc7chicago.com.
"The N Beat" is produced by Edgar Vargas.
Diego Rocha 832 W. Superior Suite 103 Chicago, Illinois 60642 (312)997-2727 www.diegorocha.com
Karma Yacht Sales Lou Sandoval 3635 S. Halsted Street Chicago, Illinois 60609 773-254-0200 ext. 2010 www.KarmaYachtSales.com
Chicago Run www.chicagorun.org
Nancy Andrade Mexifeast Foods, Inc. 3501 E. 106th Street Suite 200 Chicago, Illinois 60617 www.mexifeast.com
Roman Villareal Sculptor 773-768-0589
Ricardo Salazar www.artesalazar.com
- Mom allegedly kidnaps 2 sons from Beverly 9 min ago
- Boy, 12, killed in hit-and-run in Whiting
- Meeting addresses consequences of 'sexting'
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: Suspicious item on LSD was sleeping bag
- Grand jury indicts Lake Station mayor, wife
- Police release sketch in Albany Park attempted kidnapping
- Chicago boy remembered 1 year after suspicious death
- Lyons residents respond to police cuts
- Kirk introduces stroke research, treatment legislation
- Bond denied for suspect in Boystown sex assault
- Tavern shutdown racially motivated, owner says
- School bus collides with car, then sign in Bartlett
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos