The N Beat: Finding A Way Home Again
March 26, 2011 (WLS) -- Hosted by Theresa Gutierrez, with special contributions by ABC7's John Garcia, THE N BEAT will put a face on homelessness in Chicago's Latino community.
THE N BEAT: "Finding a Way Home Again," will air Saturday, March 26 at 6:00 p.m. with an encore presentation on Sunday, March 27 at 4:30 p.m. THE N BEAT is an Emmy Award-winning program celebrating the accomplishments of Chicago's Latino community.
This edition of THE N BEAT will shine a spotlight on the painful reality of living without a home as evidenced in the Latino community. In today's harsh economic climate, the Latino community represents a new population of homeless people, a population that once relied on well-paid blue- and white-collar jobs, but now finds itself out of work and unable to meet financial needs. With the cooperation of A Safe Haven Foundation, Casa Central-La Posada and the San Jose Orebro Mission, THE N BEAT examines those families facing life homeless as they reach out to these community-based, transitional shelters.
Three families and one single father open up on camera about their lives on the street and the turning point that brought them to seek refuge at a shelter in hopes of rebuilding their life. One homeless 12-year-old who is living at A Safe Haven Foundation shelter talks about how she is clinging to the hope that her mother will find a job to help them live independently.
Casa Central - La Posada
3209 W. Evergreen St.
Chicago, Illinois 60651
A safe Haven Foundation
2750 W. Roosevelt Rd.
Chicago, Illinois 60608
San Jose Obrero Mission
1856 S. Loomis St.
Chicago, Illinois 60608
"The N Beat" is available on-demand at www.abc7chicago.com
"The N Beat" is produced by Edgar Vargas.
- CPS adds 3 schools to turnaround list 1 min ago
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Van driver dies in fiery CTA bus crash, ID'd as Eric West, Jr.
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- BNSF Metra trains moving again after semi crash at Kedzie 15 min ago
- Loyola: Student Lucas Fleisher found OK 57 min ago
- Carla Oglesby, ex-Todd Stroger aide, gets 6.5 years
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Iceberg twice size of Atlanta drifts away from Antarctica
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
- Tractor stolen from Beecher exotic-animal shelter
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos