The N Beat: Finding A Way Home Again
March 26, 2011 (WLS) -- Hosted by Theresa Gutierrez, with special contributions by ABC7's John Garcia, THE N BEAT will put a face on homelessness in Chicago's Latino community.
THE N BEAT: "Finding a Way Home Again," will air Saturday, March 26 at 6:00 p.m. with an encore presentation on Sunday, March 27 at 4:30 p.m. THE N BEAT is an Emmy Award-winning program celebrating the accomplishments of Chicago's Latino community.
This edition of THE N BEAT will shine a spotlight on the painful reality of living without a home as evidenced in the Latino community. In today's harsh economic climate, the Latino community represents a new population of homeless people, a population that once relied on well-paid blue- and white-collar jobs, but now finds itself out of work and unable to meet financial needs. With the cooperation of A Safe Haven Foundation, Casa Central-La Posada and the San Jose Orebro Mission, THE N BEAT examines those families facing life homeless as they reach out to these community-based, transitional shelters.
Three families and one single father open up on camera about their lives on the street and the turning point that brought them to seek refuge at a shelter in hopes of rebuilding their life. One homeless 12-year-old who is living at A Safe Haven Foundation shelter talks about how she is clinging to the hope that her mother will find a job to help them live independently.
Casa Central - La Posada
3209 W. Evergreen St.
Chicago, Illinois 60651
A safe Haven Foundation
2750 W. Roosevelt Rd.
Chicago, Illinois 60608
San Jose Obrero Mission
1856 S. Loomis St.
Chicago, Illinois 60608
"The N Beat" is available on-demand at www.abc7chicago.com
"The N Beat" is produced by Edgar Vargas.
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- $2M bond for man accused of shooting 6 at party
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25 chase, 2nd carjacking... 2 min ago
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary
- 7 in :77
- SUV with child stolen in Colorado, I-25...
2 min ago