ABC7 broadcasts Polish Constitution Day Parade
May 8, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- ABC7 Chicago's Alan Krashesky once again served as one of the hosts of ''The Polish Constitution Day Parade'' broadcast Sunday, May 8 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
ABC7 Chicago was the only local television station to broadcast this year's parade. (The parade took place on Saturday, May 7 at 11:30 a.m.)
The theme for the 120th Annual Polish Constitution Day Parade was "JOHN PAUL II: A SAINT FOR OUR TIMES," paying tribute to the late Pope from Poland, John Paul II, who was beatified in Rome on May 1. The Grand Marshal for this year's parade was Thaddeus "Ted" Makarewicz, Chief Legal Counsel, Cook County Assessor's Office.
According to Anna Zolkowski Sobor, Vice Chair of the Polish Constitution Day Parade Committee, "Chicagoans feel especially close to the late John Paul II because many in the community either personally met him or attended an event where he was present. He visited Chicago when he was still a bishop and then in 1979 when he was pope. This year's parade will remember the love, kindness and holiness that were part of Pope John Paul's indomitable spirit."
The Polish Constitution Day Parade is the largest Polish parade outside of Poland and celebrates the anniversary of the ratification of the Polish Constitution on May 3, 1791. For 120 years, Polonia's various community organizations have come together to organize this traditional Chicago salute to pride and tradition. There were 120 units participating in the 2011 parade.
Jerry Taft, Tracy Butler, Stacey Baca, Phil Schwarz and Jason Knowles were scheduled to participate in the festivities and ride along the parade route on Columbus Drive, from Balboa to Monroe, atop the ABC 7 Float.
Video of the "The Polish Constitution Day Parade" broadcast is now available on-demand here online.
ABC7 Chicago's Christopher Bowen was the executive producer of the parade.
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant