ABC7 broadcasts Polish Constitution Day Parade
May 8, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- ABC7 Chicago's Alan Krashesky once again served as one of the hosts of ''The Polish Constitution Day Parade'' broadcast Sunday, May 8 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
ABC7 Chicago was the only local television station to broadcast this year's parade. (The parade took place on Saturday, May 7 at 11:30 a.m.)
The theme for the 120th Annual Polish Constitution Day Parade was "JOHN PAUL II: A SAINT FOR OUR TIMES," paying tribute to the late Pope from Poland, John Paul II, who was beatified in Rome on May 1. The Grand Marshal for this year's parade was Thaddeus "Ted" Makarewicz, Chief Legal Counsel, Cook County Assessor's Office.
According to Anna Zolkowski Sobor, Vice Chair of the Polish Constitution Day Parade Committee, "Chicagoans feel especially close to the late John Paul II because many in the community either personally met him or attended an event where he was present. He visited Chicago when he was still a bishop and then in 1979 when he was pope. This year's parade will remember the love, kindness and holiness that were part of Pope John Paul's indomitable spirit."
The Polish Constitution Day Parade is the largest Polish parade outside of Poland and celebrates the anniversary of the ratification of the Polish Constitution on May 3, 1791. For 120 years, Polonia's various community organizations have come together to organize this traditional Chicago salute to pride and tradition. There were 120 units participating in the 2011 parade.
Jerry Taft, Tracy Butler, Stacey Baca, Phil Schwarz and Jason Knowles were scheduled to participate in the festivities and ride along the parade route on Columbus Drive, from Balboa to Monroe, atop the ABC 7 Float.
Video of the "The Polish Constitution Day Parade" broadcast is now available on-demand here online.
ABC7 Chicago's Christopher Bowen was the executive producer of the parade.
- Lake Shore Drive standoff ends, suspect in custody 3 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- GOP gubernatorial candidates make last campaign push
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Calif. billionaire buys record life insurance policy
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Honda Recalls 900,000 Odyssey Minivans
- Lake Shore Drive standoff ends, suspect in...
7 min ago
- LSD standoff suspect wanted in wife's murder
21 min ago