ABC7 broadcasts Polish Constitution Day Parade
May 8, 2011 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- ABC7 Chicago's Alan Krashesky once again served as one of the hosts of ''The Polish Constitution Day Parade'' broadcast Sunday, May 8 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
ABC7 Chicago was the only local television station to broadcast this year's parade. (The parade took place on Saturday, May 7 at 11:30 a.m.)
The theme for the 120th Annual Polish Constitution Day Parade was "JOHN PAUL II: A SAINT FOR OUR TIMES," paying tribute to the late Pope from Poland, John Paul II, who was beatified in Rome on May 1. The Grand Marshal for this year's parade was Thaddeus "Ted" Makarewicz, Chief Legal Counsel, Cook County Assessor's Office.
According to Anna Zolkowski Sobor, Vice Chair of the Polish Constitution Day Parade Committee, "Chicagoans feel especially close to the late John Paul II because many in the community either personally met him or attended an event where he was present. He visited Chicago when he was still a bishop and then in 1979 when he was pope. This year's parade will remember the love, kindness and holiness that were part of Pope John Paul's indomitable spirit."
The Polish Constitution Day Parade is the largest Polish parade outside of Poland and celebrates the anniversary of the ratification of the Polish Constitution on May 3, 1791. For 120 years, Polonia's various community organizations have come together to organize this traditional Chicago salute to pride and tradition. There were 120 units participating in the 2011 parade.
Jerry Taft, Tracy Butler, Stacey Baca, Phil Schwarz and Jason Knowles were scheduled to participate in the festivities and ride along the parade route on Columbus Drive, from Balboa to Monroe, atop the ABC 7 Float.
Video of the "The Polish Constitution Day Parade" broadcast is now available on-demand here online.
ABC7 Chicago's Christopher Bowen was the executive producer of the parade.
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine 45 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 33 min ago
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
33 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe...
45 min ago