The N Beat: Cultural Connections
June 25, 2011 (WLS) -- Hosted by Theresa Gutierrez, with special contributions by ABC 7's John Garcia and Stacey Baca, THE N BEAT will profile men and women who maintain a strong connection to their Latino heritage while doing the things they love. THE N BEAT: "Cultural Connections" will air Saturday, June 25 at 6 pm with an encore presentation on Sunday, June 26 at Noon. THE N BEAT is an Emmy Award winning program celebrating the accomplishments of Chicago's Latino community.
This edition of THE N ("enye") BEAT will spotlight Dame Libby Komaiko, founder of the Ensemble EspaNol Spanish Dance Theater which is celebrating its 35th Anniversary. The show takes a glimpse at their upcoming performance, "Flamenco Passion, Gala Concerts" in Skokie, Illinois. THE N BEAT talks with Executive Director Jorge Perez and Associate Artistic Director Irma Suarez Ruiz about the dance company and their commitment to the rich traditions of Spanish dance and music.
Lourdes "Lula" Kiah is the owner of Chicago-based Image Consulting Group. Lula works with business professionals, empowering their clients to achieve personal goals by consulting them on everything from fashion to make up.
Xavier Nuez is the Canadian born, Latino artist whose photo series titled "Alleys and Ruins" has gained praise from the New York Times. His photos portray some of the country's bleakest urban settings in a new light and bring out the underlying beauty in them.
Finally, Executive Director Ignacio Olmos talks about the Instituto Cervantes. The non-for-profit organization provides Spanish language curriculums and a variety of cultural programs for Chicagoans from all walks of life who wish to share in the culture of Spain and Latin America.
"The N Beat" is available on-demand at www.abc7chicago.com
"The N Beat" is produced by Edgar Vargas.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
- Employees, customers prepare Dominick's final days
- Midlothian's The Tint Shop burglarized 3 times in 1 night 13 min ago
- Gov. Quinn looks back on 2013
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- Me You & Her raises money for Chicago food banks
- 'I-55 Bandit' pleads guilty to robbery charge
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos