Family sues over morgue's handling of woman's body
February 3, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The family of a woman whose body was among those found stacked in the Cook County morgue has filed a lawsuit over the handling of her body.
The family of Carmelita Johnson did not release details of the suit, only that they want justice to be served.
Johnson's daughter says the medical examiner was negligent in handling her mother's case. They claim 14 months passed without the morgue notifying them that Johnson's body had been recovered from Lake Michigan.
"It's devastating," said Leslie Jackson, Carmelita Johnson's daughter. "A lot of things could have been prevented. We don't know the cause of death, but if the M.E.'s office had done their jobs, we could've had some type of closure."
The family is calling for Dr. Nancy Jones to step down as Cook County's medical examiner. They say it was a police detective, not someone from the morgue, who finally told them of Johnson's body being recovered.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer