ABC 7 Chicago celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with news reports, parade broadcast, Ñ Beat Special, and Hispanic Heritage Month vignettes
September 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- ABC 7 Chicago will highlight the rich culture and traditions of Chicago's Latino community during Hispanic Heritage Month, September 15-October 15. ABC 7 will celebrate Hispanic heritage with special news reports; the broadcast of the Little Village Chamber of Commerce 26th Street Mexican Independence Day Parade; a half-hour edition of THE Ñ BEAT; and a series of vignettes featuring ABC 7's Stacey Baca, Michelle Gallardo, John Garcia, Theresa Gutierrez, Sylvia Perez and Roz Varon who talk about their own Hispanic heritage and how family support helped shape their success.
Video - THE Ñ BEAT - Originally aired Sept. 29, 2012
To kick off Hispanic Heritage Month, all the pageantry of Mexican culture will be on display when ABC 7's Theresa Gutierrez hosts the Little Village Chamber of Commerce 26th Street Mexican Independence Day Parade airing Sunday, September 9 from 2-3 pm. ABC 7 Chicago is the only TV station in town broadcasting the parade. Participating in this colorful community event will be members of the ABC 7 News team including Ben Bradley, Cheryl Burton, Michelle Gallardo, John Garcia, Hosea Sanders, and Roz Varon, who will be riding atop the ABC 7 float. (The parade begins at noon.) During the parade, the late Raul Muñoz will be honored as one of the most successful business pioneers in Little Village. Muñoz passed away earlier this year in February 2012."Not everyone knows that the 2nd highest grossing retail district in Chicago next to Michigan Avenue is 26th Street, in the heart of the Little Village community. During the Mexican Independence Day parade the area becomes an all-day block party. It's a celebration unique to the city of Chicago," says producer Edgar Vargas, excited to once again be producing the parade broadcast.
Throughout September and October, ABC 7 will broadcast Hispanic Heritage Month vignettes spotlighting Stacey Baca, Michelle Gallardo, John Garcia, Theresa Gutierrez, Sylvia Perez, and Roz Varon.
Then, ABC 7 will broadcast its Emmy Award-winning program, THE Ñ BEAT, hosted by Theresa Gutierrez, with special contributions by ABC 7's John Garcia and Stacey Baca, Saturday, September 29 at 6:30 pm with an encore presentation on Sunday, October 7 at 4:30 pm.
One of the upcoming stories on THE Ñ BEAT focuses on Ailyn Pèrez, a Chicago born Mexican-American soprano. From the stage at Elk Grove Village High School to the opera's international stage, Ms. Perez discusses how she accomplished her dream to perform as a classically trained vocalist.
The Ñ Beat and the Little Village Chamber of Commerce 26th Street Mexican Independence Day Parade are available on-demand at www.abc7chicago.com. Edgar Vargas is the producer.
- CTA Red Line resumes service 47th to 95th/Dan Ryan 21 min ago
- Photos: La Porte County stolen items on display
- Chicago weather: Temps fall by end of week
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill 41 min ago
- No injuries at South Side high-rise fire 13 min ago
- Officials try to ID body near missing woman's home
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Wonder Lake man charged with sexually abusing juvenile
- Homewood bank robbers hiding in complex, police say 14 min ago
- 'Blues Brothers' mall chase recreated with...
- Paul Konerko signs White Sox 1-year extension 52 min ago
- Will County workers reach strike-ending deal
- Ventra progress report shows major improvement
- ABC7 To Go, December 4, 2013
16 min ago
- La Porte County burglary ring busted
59 min ago