ABC7 proudly sponsors Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk
October 2012 (WLS) -- ABC 7 Chicago, for the 12th consecutive year, is joining in the fight against breast cancer as a proud sponsor of the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk.
ABC 7 Chicago, for the 12th consecutive year, is joining in the fight against breast cancer as a proud sponsor of the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. The American Cancer Society's 5K (3.1 mile) walk, dedicated to creating a world with less breast cancer and more birthdays, will begin at Montrose Harbor on Chicago's beautiful lakefront. On Saturday, October 20th registration begins at 8:30 am, followed by the opening ceremony at 9 am. The Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk steps off at 10 am. ABC 7 Chicago has fielded a team Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walkers.
Roz Varon, a breast cancer survivor, will be joined by her ABC 7 morning news co-anchor Judy Hsu to host the Making Strides opening ceremony and will kick off the walk that will help raise money in the fight for a cure! According to the American Cancer Society, an estimated 9,090 women in Illinois will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year and approximately 1,650 will die from the disease.
The noncompetitive Strides Walk event unites the community to honor and celebrate survivors and helps raise money to fund lifesaving research and support programs.
Varon says, "They say there is strength in numbers but there's also hope in numbers. With so many people joining the fight during the Making Strides Walk, we are both stronger and more hopeful. As a breast cancer survivor, I am proud to be part of something that generates such tremendous hope to those battling breast cancer."
In 2011, 1 million walkers across the country collected more than $60 million to help fight this disease.
All donations pledged to Making Strides walkers will go to support the American Cancer Society's unique mission to fight cancer on four fronts; research, education, advocacy, and patient services.
Come out to Montrose Harbor on October 20 and join ABC 7 Chicago in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk.
For more information go to abc7chicago.com or visit makingstridesIllinois.com.
- McHenry, Lake counties prepare for freezing rain
- NW Side residents hold meeting on sex assault
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Glen Ellyn student accused of assaulting school staff member
- Rev. Al Sharpton holds meeting on Chicago gun violence
- Carol Stream Culver's raises money for child with leukemia
- Man thought to be Gacy victim reunited with family
- Bogus Target charges may not appear for months
- Woman charged after 30 dogs removed from home
- Maine West coach hazing trial put on hold until January
- 2 men killed within blocks of each other in South Shore
- No CO detectors in Skokie apartments where people sickened
- abcnews: Reddit Secret Santa User is Bill Gates