Geoffrey and Carmen: A Memoir in Four Movements, new DuSable Museum exhibit, opens Sunday
February 6, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A new exhibit at the DuSable Museum looks at the career of a husband and wife team highly respected in the world of entertainment.
Geoffrey & Carmen: A Memoir in Four Movements runs from February 10 through May 30.
More from DuSableMuseum.org:
"The DuSable Museum of African American History in association with the California African American Museum (CAAM) will present an exhibition, Geoffrey and Carmen: A Memoir in Four Movements. The exhibition will include more than 90 paintings, sculptures, photographs, costumes, books and designs by the Tony Award winning director/choreographer/ artist/actor/author Geoffrey Holder and his award-winning wife, dancer/actress/choreographer Carmen DeLavallade. All works in the exhibition were created by the couple whose combined years in the world of entertainment, art and culture total more than a century. The exhibition will provide an intimate look at Holder & DeLavallade and their work as dancers, choreographers, and multi-talented artists, but, it will also be Holder's gloriously colored paintings and his tributes to his family that will make the exhibition personal and lively.
"The exhibition will be divided into four sections: "Family," "Art," "Dance" and "Theatre" and will include paintings, sculpture, photographs highlighting the extraordinary careers of Holder and DeLavallade. Highlights of the exhibition will include: Costumes and Sketches "The Wiz," "Timbuktu," "Dougla," "The Prodigal Prince," and "The Red Shoe;" Archival Footage of Ballets and Dances created and choreographed for Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre, The Dance Theatre of Harlem, The Metropolitan Opera, and American Ballet Theatre; Archival Footage of Television Appearances, including: The Ed Sullivan Show, Playhouse 90, Cosby, A Different World and The Today Show; and items designed by Holder from their personal wardrobes which garnered the duo inclusion onto the International Best Dressed List and the International Best Dressed List Hall of Fame."
Geoffrey and Carmen Exhibition Site: geoffreyandcarmen.dusablemuseum.org
community, theresa gutierrez
- Bears fans brave frigid temps at Soldier Field
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Bears beat Cowboys 45-28 on Ditka Day
- Waukegan police search for suspect in sex assault
- Illinois man charged with animal cruelty defends actions
- $100M investment proposed for Gary Airport
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Vaccinate Illinois Week kicks off to promote flu shots
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913