Windy City LIVE: Stop the Violence airs February 28, March 1
February 27, 2013 -- Windy City LIVE dedicates two hour-long programs on February 28 and March 1 to address the problem of violence in Chicago.
"We are all numb to violence at this point because it's so common." Femi, 17
"Don't shoot because I want to grow up because my father didn't get a chance to grow up" Desiree, 6
Windy City LIVE, with host Ryan Chiaverini and Val Warner, will dedicate two, hour-long STOP THE VIOLENCE special programs, to address the stunning prevalence of violence in Chicago.
The first STOP THE VIOLENCE special, airing on February 28 at 9 a.m., will focus on the problem of violence in our city and the second program, airing on March 1 at 9 a.m., will focus on possible solutions.
In the first special program, Ryan Chiaverini, Val Warner and Ji Suk Yi will discuss the impact gun violence has on the victims, their families, the community and Chicago's reputation as a world-class city. Then, Val Warner talks to five children from various Chicago neighborhoods, all of whom have a clear understanding of violence because it has become a part of their life experience. They share their perspective on the problem and their opinion of what needs to change. Cleopatra Pendleton, mother of Hadiya, speaks out about the violence that stole their children's young lives. They share their personal accounts of tragedy and their struggle to move forward in honor of their slain children.
On Friday, March 1st during the 2nd STOP THE VIOLENCE special, Ryan Chiaverini, Val Warner and Ji Suk Yi are joined by Windy City contributor Roe Conn, ABC 7 News' Cheryl Burton and Jim Rose and ABC News' Alex Perez for a round-table discussion with community leaders about ways to stem the tide of violence in this city while identifying those people making a difference in the community. Guest includes: Cassandra Bell, Youth Development Specialist Cook County Juvenile Detention Center; Marshaun Bacon, Becoming a Man Counselor; Lamont Evans, Violence Interrupter with Cease Fire. Religious leaders including Father Michael Pfleger; Pastor Corey Brooks; Reverend Marshall Hatch and Reverend Susan Johnson will also participate.
Marlaine Selip is the executive producer of Windy City LIVE; Dan Barbossa is the producer of Windy City LIVE: Stop the Violence special programs.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer 28 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...