The Ñ Beat: Saturday, March 23, 2013
March 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- Hosted by Theresa Gutierrez, with special contributions by ABC 7's John Garcia and Stacey Baca, THE Ñ BEAT is a rich tapestry of profiles highlighting the contributions of Latin American immigrants, as well as first generation Americans, to the rich history of Chicago.
Video: THE Ñ BEAT - Originally aired March 23, 2013
Click [CC] to watch with closed-captioning
THE Ñ BEAT aired Saturday, March 23 at 6:00 pm and on Sunday, March 24 at 1:00 pm. THE Ñ BEAT is an Emmy Award winning series of special programs celebrating the accomplishments of Chicago's Latino community.
This edition of THE Ñ BEAT profiles parents who are working hard to honor the memory of their slain son. Jeff Abbey Maldonado Sr. and his wife Elizabeth lost their only son when he was killed by gang fire in a case of mistaken identity, one day after his 19th birthday. Instead of shutting down and leaving town, these parents established the JDEF Peace Project in the hope of bringing peace to the Pilsen neighborhood in the name of their son.
A professional dancer by trade, Rebecca Aleman now spends her time as a master dance instructor for Chicago Multicultural Dance Center as well as a member of the Joffrey Ballet of Chicago's community Engagement Program. Her mission: to introduce students to the Latin Culture and to get everybody to dance!
Then THE Ñ BEAT takes a glimpse at the Goodman Theater's artist in residence Henry Godinez, as he performs in a collaborative production of Cuba's renowned Teatro Buen Dia, "Pedro Paramo" Next, Roy Germano talks about his documentary, "The Other Side of Immigration," offering a new perspective on immigration and the pursuit of the American Dream.
Finally, a tour of the Elmhurst Art Museum new exhibit "Open House: Art about Home," features Chicagoan and Mexican-American artist, Alberto Aguilar.
Contacts for "The Ñ BEAT; The Difference We Make"
Chicago Multi Cultural Dance Center
47 W. Polk St
Chicago, Illinoi 60605
Joffrey Ballet Chicago
10 East Randolph
Chicago, Illinois 60601
J-DEF Peace Project
1436 w. 18th street
Chicago, Illinois 60608
Coalition on Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition
55 E. Jackson Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60604
Elmhurst Art Museum
150 Cottage Hill Ave.
Elmhurst, Illinois 60126
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout