Daily Herald: Vaccination Debate
June 30, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- An Elgin mother is telling friends on Facebook she wants to take her 18-month-old son to a chickenpox party and expose him to the virus. She underscores a brewing debate about the value of vaccinations.
To be sure, the vast majority of children in Illinois are inoculated. But there are still 68,000 kids who didn't get their shots last school year. The reasons for non-compliance are tough to pinpoint, but some parents and a few doctors say vaccinations are not perfect, and the choice should be up to parents.
You can read the full story in the Daily Herald's edition from Sunday, June 30, 2013, or online at dailyherald.com.
- Winter storm spreads mixed precip across Chicago area 13 min ago
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV 7 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Hadiya Pendleton Foundation holds holiday toy drive
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- Kids recite world leaders' speeches for contest
- Santa hands out coats to kids at Englewood police station
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
- Winter storm spreads mixed precip across...
13 min ago
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes...
7 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos