Daily Herald: Vaccination Debate
June 30, 2013 (CHICAGO) -- An Elgin mother is telling friends on Facebook she wants to take her 18-month-old son to a chickenpox party and expose him to the virus. She underscores a brewing debate about the value of vaccinations.
To be sure, the vast majority of children in Illinois are inoculated. But there are still 68,000 kids who didn't get their shots last school year. The reasons for non-compliance are tough to pinpoint, but some parents and a few doctors say vaccinations are not perfect, and the choice should be up to parents.
You can read the full story in the Daily Herald's edition from Sunday, June 30, 2013, or online at dailyherald.com.
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack 37 min ago
- Lawsuit filed against cops accused of lying in court 21 min ago
- Police: KC highway shooting suspect in custody
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 23 min ago
- Huntley votes to ban e-cigarettes in schools
- Man shot in Lincoln Square
- Francis Cardinal George holds Holy Thursday mass
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos