Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk, October 26, 2013
October 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- ABC 7 Chicago, for the 13th consecutive year, is joining in the fight against breast cancer as a proud sponsor of the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk. The American Cancer Society's 5K, dedicated to creating a world with less breast cancer and more birthdays, will begin and wrap up at Soldier Field (Green Stadium 1410 Museum Campus Drive, Chicago, Illinois) on the beautiful lake front. Registration for the event opens at 8:30am, the program begins at 9:00am and the walk begins at 10:00am on Saturday, October 26th.
Roz Varon, a stage four breast cancer survivor, will be joined by ABC 7 News morning team co-worker Judy Hsu for the Making Strides walk that raises money in the fight for a cure! According to the American Cancer Society, an estimated 232,340 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the United States during 2013. This year alone, an estimated 39,620 women will die of breast cancer.
The noncompetitive Strides Walk, scheduled at 16 locations during the month of October throughout Illinois, unites the community to honor and celebrate survivors and helps raise money to fund lifesaving research and support programs.
Varon says, "The Making Strides against Breast Cancer Walk is about people with incredible strength and courage joining forces to help prevent this devastating disease from stealing one more life. As a breast cancer survivor, I am proud to be part of something that generates such tremendous hope to those battling breast cancer."
All donations pledged to Making Strides walkers will go to support the American Cancer Society's unique mission to fight cancer on four fronts; research, education, advocacy, and patient services.
Come out to Soldier Field on October 26th and join ABC7 Chicago in the Making Strides against Breast Cancer Walk.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Brief warm-up followed by snow
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Cocaine stash found in Aurora man's home 54 min ago
- 2 accused of videotaping abuse at nursing home 29 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- Northwestern University unveils $3.75B campaign
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- abcnews: Cops Seek Bad Witch Who Stole Ruby Red... 25 min ago
- 7 in 77