'Summer of Service' winner a veteran teacher at 15
October 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Over the summer, ABC7 asked young people to go to our website and tell us how they are giving back to their community.
Hundreds did just that. Now, ten young people from the Chicago-area are receiving $1,000 grants to help support their cause.
Destinee Evans is only 15 years old, but she's already a veteran teacher. For the past three years, she has been volunteering to teach art classes to students with special needs at the echo school in suburban South Holland.
She says her adopted brother, Nicholas, who has special needs, is her greatest inspiration.
"Even though he has all of these difficulties, he always had a smile on his face," she said. "So I wanted to do something for him and his school."
Administrators say her commitment has a tangible impact.
"The way that she works with her students, her ability to relate to them, she has their attention. It's just been pretty phenomenal," said Debra Hooks, executive director, Echo School.
Evans' parents require each of their children to volunteer. But where they serve is their choice.
"I think it's because of where she saw us," said Leroy Evans, Destinee's father. "We're giving people and we've always been involved with children and youth and so I think she came along with that but I think it's just a special gift that she has."
The high school freshman is now an accomplished artist on her own, but her mother recalls an early reluctance to even try an art class.
"I said to her initially, 'just go for the first week and we'll see what happens,'" said Pamela Evans, Destinee's mother. "Because she bonded with the teacher, then it made her want to come back again."
But art is not her only love. The teenager, who is home-schooled is also an author, competes in pageants and ballroom dancing and has spent time studying at both the Viking Cooking School and Chicago's French pastry school.
Destinee Evans says she will use her "ABC Summer of Service" award to purchase art supplies for her class.
community, cheryl burton
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes 50 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 55 min ago
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Person killed by Amtrak from Chicago to STL
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- $7 million shoplifting suspects to remain jailed 11 min ago
- Teen accused in Chicago livery driver shooting death
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Man fatally shot by police in domestic dispute
- Earthquake in California centered in Eureka
- Photos: Plane entangles in skydiver parachute
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
55 min ago
- ABC7 To Go 3-10-14
5 min ago
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park...
50 min ago