Food & Recipes
Chicago Q Chef Lee Ann Whippen: Homemade Potato Salad and Lee Ann's Award Winning Smoked Pork
July 31, 2012 -- Chicago Q Chef, Lee Ann Whippen was recently awarded numerous accolades at the 20th Anniversary Safeway National Capital Barbecue Battle. Whippen and her BBQ Team competed against 38 other teams to take home the grand champion trophy. Whippen also finished 2nd place in the pork category, 3rd in brisket, 4th in chicken, and 8th in ribs. Whippen is qualified to compete in the Jack Daniels World Championship competition in Lynchburgh and the American Royal Invitational in November. Whippen also received 1st place in potato salad, which entitles her to compete in the World Food Competition in Las Vegas in November.
1160 N. Dearborn St.
WHIPPEN'S BBQ COOKING TIPS:
- Grill grates should be cleaned or scraped prior to grilling and oil (i.e. Vegetable or Olive Oil) should be applied with cloth to prevent sticking.
- Soak wood chips in water for 1/2 hour, drain and enclose in piece of foil. Poke holes in foil with fork to allow smoke to escape. Place directly on coals to flavor your favorite meats.
- Don't use flavored (i.e. Mesquite) charcoal as it adds a chemical taste rather than natural wood flavors.
- Baste with sauces during last half hour of cooking not in the beginning.
- Marinating your meats prior to cooking will not only add flavor but also create a tender product.
- Try to avoid Lighter Fluid and use starter sticks or Charcoal Chimney to light your fire so meat flavors don't get tainted.
CHICAGO q Homemade Potato Salad:
5 lbs. Peeled Potatoes-cut and boiled
Mix all below then add potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups Mayo 5 hard-cooked eggs
- 5 slices cooked bacon
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 3 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 T. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 3/4tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. Dry Mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp Celery Seed
- Dash Cayenne
Bring water & Potatoes to boil
Drain & put in cooler
Combine remaining ingredients. Add cooled potatoes. Top with Paprika.
Lee Ann's Award Winning Smoked Pork
- 1 (6-8) pound Pork Butt "Boston Butt"
- 1 cup Lee Ann's BBQ Championship BBQ Rub
- Apple Juice
- Hickory Chips or Apple Chips (soaked in water one hour prior) or Hickory or Apple Chunks (4" x 2")
- Charcoal (Not flavored or with lighter fluid)
- Smoker or (Charcoal Grill/Gas Grill over indirect heat)
- Your favorite BBQ Sauce
1 Dozen 4" traditional hamburger or potato rolls
Night prior to cooking, coat Heavily with dry rub. Wrap in plastic wrap or place in plastic bag and refrigerate overnight.
Remove pork from refrigerator 2 hours prior to cooking.
Prepare smoker to temperature of 225-250 degrees.
Place Seasoned Pork Butt in smoker, fat side up
Add 3 large handfuls of wood chips or 3 wood chunks on top of coals
After 3 hours add 3 more large handfuls wood chips or 3 wood chunks and spray with Apple Juice
Continue to Spray with Apple Juice every hour*.
Smoke Pork for approximately 12 hours or until internal temperature hits 190 to 195 degrees.
*If exterior of Pork becomes too dark during smoking process, wrap in heavy-duty foil with 1/2 cup apple juice in bottom of foil.
Pull pork to desired consistency and top with Your favorite BBQ Sauce
Yield 10-12 servings
food & recipes
- Extensive vandalism devastates South Side church
- CPS teachers continue citywide marches
- Video: Monday @ 10: Expanded Gambling
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 4 dead, 15 shot in citywide gun violence
- $590M-plus Powerball: winning ticket sold in Fla
- Shots fired, multi-car crash in Hammond Walmart parking lot
- Woman killed, 4 critically injured in Far South Side crash
- Amtrak train from New Orleans to Chicago derails
- Quinn, parents of Newtown victims, speak on gun control
- Toddler found alone on West Side reunited with parents
- Daily Herald: Gender Pay Gap
- Boy, 12, critically hurt in Little Village shooting
- abcnews: 13 Weird Things You Can Buy With Bitcoin
- CTA Red Line reconstruction officially...
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos