Food & Recipes
Magnolia Bakery: Sweet Sayings Cupcakes
February 10, 2013 -- Most people think of cupcakes when they hear "Magnolia Bakery." So, how would you like to be able to make those famous cupcakes yourself this Valentine's Day?
Representatives from the bakery came into our ABC7 studio to show us how to make them. (www.magnoliabakery.com/)
Tips for Icing Sweet Sayings Cupcakes:
1. To add the ganache, dip the cupcake into the ganache, remove and turn the cupcake to get rid of the excess chocolate.
2. Ganache needs 15-20 minutes to set. If you're in a rush, pop it in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes. To test if it's done, touch lightly with your finger. If it's sticky, it needs a few more minutes.
3. You can ice at home with a #4 icing tip (you can get these at any bakeshop) and a piping bag. If you don't have an icing bag, you can use parchment paper in the shape of a cone.
4. Use about a one-half cup of icing in the bag - just enough so that the bag is filled, but not too much! It should fit comfortably in your hand.
5. Before adding icing to the cupcake, practice on your cutting board or a plate.
Magnolia Bakery Recipes
Devil's Food Cupcakes Yields: 20-24 Cupcakes
2 cups cake flour
1 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter, room temperature
1 ½ brown sugar, firmly packed
½ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups buttermilk
1. Preheat convection oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line cupcake pans with papers.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt; sift and set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar on speed 2 (medium), until light and fluffy; about 5 minutes.
5. Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl.
6. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
7. Add vanilla and mix until just incorporated.
8. Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl.
9. After reducing mixer to speed 1 (low), add the dry ingredient mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk.
10. Scrape the sides and bottom of bowl and beat for an additional 30 seconds.
11. Divide batter into prepared pans and bake for 23-25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
Yields: 1 ¼ cups
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
1. Pour the cream into a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring the cream to a gentle, rolling boil. Stir occasionally so that the bottom does not scorch.
2. Put the chocolate into a stainless steel bowl and pour the boiled cream over the chocolate. Shake the bowl to make sure that the chocolate is submerged completely.
3. Allow the mixture to stand for approximately 2 minutes to melt the chocolate.
4. Whisk the ganache until smooth. Avoid whisking too much or you will create air bubbles.
5. Cool to room temperature before glazing the cupcakes.
6. Gently dip the top of the cupcake into the glaze and allow the ganache to set before inscribing.
food & recipes
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- Good Samaritans rescue driver from burning van
- Gay wedding expo celebrates marriage equality
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Brown's Chicken killer wins federal lawsuit
- Farewell held for local deployed soldiers
- Tinley Park hosts St. Patrick's Day parade
- Fundraiser held for teen injured at ski park 17 min ago
- Orr Academy basketball player among 6 shot at party
- Ford Motor leader William Clay Ford dead
- Illinois halts plan to require ATV permits
- Mexican culture celebrated at Navy Pier
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- abcnews: Toddler with Rare Kidney Disease Beats Odds
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos