Food & Recipes
June 23, 2013 -- On a hot summer day, cool off with a refreshing slice of watermelon!
Of course, you can do so much more than just slice it. Tony Stallone with Peapod came into our ABC7 studio to show us a few recipes.
Tony's Tips For Watermelons:
- Do not refrigerate whole watermelons.
The ideal temperature to store a whole watermelon is 55 to 65 degrees, where your watermelon can last up to 2 weeks, but will also taste sweeter.
- Once you cut a watermelon refrigerate any leftovers immediately; cut watermelon should last 3 to 5 days in your refrigerator.
- Wash the outside of the watermelon before cutting to eliminate any food safety risk.
Watermelon Agua Fresca
4 cups seedless watermelon cut in small chunks
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. agave
Puree watermelon in blender or food processor.
Strain; then add water, juice from ½ of lime, and agave.
Cover and chill until ready to serve; pour over ice in tall glasses and slice remaining lime half to garnish drinks with.
Watermelon Barbecue Sauce
4 cups seedless watermelon, cut in small chunks
2 Tbsps. Honey
11/2 cups ketchup
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. liquid smoke flavoring
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Puree watermelon in blender or food processor; strain into heavy-duty saucepan.
Add remaining ingredients, and mix well.
Simmer over very low heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until sauce reaches desired consistency.
Watermelon Tomato Salad
2 1/2 cups seedless watermelon, cut in small cubes
1 pt. (approx. 12 oz) assorted baby heirloom tomatoes, cut in small cubes
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
1 small red onion, julienned
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine watermelon, tomatoes and onion in a bowl; sprinkle with sugar, salt and pepper and toss gently.
Stir in vinegar and oil.
Cover, and chill until ready to serve.
food & recipes
- Officials try to ID body near missing woman's home
- Will County workers reach strike-ending deal
- Ventra progress report shows major improvement
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cyber Safety Tips During the Holidays
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes
- Meningitis at other universities puts NU on alert
- Chicago Dearborn bike lane rated best in America
- Official shaves 40-year-old mustache for cancer awareness
- William Cellini to be released from prison
- SW Side teen recants story about alley sex assault
- Naperville fights to restrict MMA events
- Chicago boasts nation's best doughnut in web ranking
- abcnews: Truck carrying radioactive material stolen
- 7 in :77