Roasted Parsnip and Jerusalem Artichoke Soup
Laura Frankel shares contemporary versions of classic recipes.
Jerusalem artichokes have nothing to do with Jerusalem, nor are they a member of the artichoke family. They are actually the root of the sunflower plant. However they got their name does not matter, because they are delicious. They have a nutty, earthy flavor similar to an artichoke. Paired with sweet, roasted parsnips, it is a match made in soup heaven.
8 large parsnips, peeled and cut into large pieces
1 pound or about 10 Jerusalem artichokes, peeled, diced and placed in acidulated water (water with lemon juice added to keep the Jerusalem artichokes from becoming discolored)
3 medium shallots, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
½ cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
5 cups of chicken stock
¼ cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts
Toasted hazelnut oil for garnish (optional)
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400.
1. Drizzle the parsnip pieces with olive oil. Place the parsnips on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast the parsnips in the preheated oven for 45 minutes until they are soft and lightly browned. Transfer the parsnips to the insert for the slow cooker. Drain the Jerusalem artichoke pieces and add them to the insert.
2. Place a small sauté pan over medium high heat. Lightly coat the pan with olive oil. Sauté the shallots until they are slightly browned and soft. Add the garlic and continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Add the wine to the pan and cook the mixture for 3 minutes. Add the wine, shallots and garlic to the insert for the slow cooker. Add the fresh thyme and chicken stock to the insert for the slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours until the Jerusalem artichokes and parsnips are very soft. Puree the soup in batches or with a stick blender until the soup is very creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Garnish with chopped, toasted hazelnut and a drizzle of toasted hazelnut oil.
- Chicago Weather: Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 10 min ago
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd 27 min ago
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
1 min ago
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
40 min ago