Passover recipes: Caponata di Carciofi
This caponata does not have the usual tomatoes and eggplant. Instead it is a concoction of early spring and late winter vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of kosher chef Laura Frankel, who brings new flavors to the holiday table. Check out Chef Laura's blog at lauraskosher.com and follow her on Twitter at cheflaura1.
I serve it with roasted chicken, duck and even fish. It adds flair to any table and for Passover we drizzle our matzah with olive oil and herbs and then dollop some of this caponata on top of it for a crunchy snack.
Yields about 2 cups
To clean the artichokes, use a paring knife to cut the outside leaves free from the body of the vegetable. Continue turning your knife around the artichoke until you have an equal amount of green leaves with yellow tops. Be sure to leave the stem intact. You can peel some of the tough green fibers from the outside. The stem gives the artichoke a pretty shape! Cut the artichoke in half lengthwise and scoop out the choke (if any) with a melon baller. Place the artichoke pieces in a bowl of cold water with lemon juice squeezed into it to keep the artichokes from turning dark.
Place a large sauté pan over medium high heat and coat the bottom lightly with olive oil. Add the fennel pieces and leeks. Sauté the vegetables until the are lightly browned and have softened. Add the drained artichokes and continue sautéing until the artichokes are lightly browned. Add the garlic, tomato paste and white wine. Stir together. Add the raisins and turn down the heat to low and allow the mixture to simmer.
Place a small sauté pan over medium heat and add the pine-nuts. Toast the pine-nuts until they are lightly browned. Watch them carefully as then can burn quickly.
Add the pine nuts to the mixture. Add the mint, parsley and thyme. Salt and pepper to taste
Serve the caponata warm or cold. The caponata can be made three days before serving and stored covered in the refrigerator.
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs 1 min ago
- Flight delays, cancellations at O'Hare, Midway due to weather 13 min ago
- Brian Urlacher announces retirement from NFL
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 2 bodies found in trunk of car in West Englewood 38 min ago
- How much money will be saved by school closures? 36 min ago
- Donald Trump civil trial jury deliberations begin
- CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
- Mahalia Jackson community glad school will stay open 15 min ago
- West Aurora sex abuse probe ends without arrests
- Saving on Gas? Fine Print for Rewards Programs
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help
- Free movies at Millennium Park this summer
- abcnews: Twitter Beefs Up User Security 28 min ago
- How much money will be saved by school...
36 min ago
- Board votes to close 50 CPS schools, programs
1 min ago
- Kellie Pickler, Derek Hough win 'DWTS;'...
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos