Recipe for Green Apple and Cashew Salad
April 24, 2011 (CHICAGO) -- This recipe Green Apple and Cashew Salad is courtesy of Chef Curtis Jones with Common Threads.
About 1 Tablespoon sugar, or more to taste
About 1/2 serrano chili, sliced into thin disks
2 teaspoons fish sauce
4 green apples
5 sprigs cilantro
1 shallot, thinly sliced
1/3 cup toasted cashews
Small and large bowls
1. Make the dressing
With the box grater, grate the lime zest (the skin of the lime).
Put the zest in a small bowl.
Cut the lime in half and squeeze each half into the bowl.
Mix in sugar, sliced chilies, and fish sauce.
Taste the dressing: It should be tart, but not too tart. If it is too tart, add a pinch more sugar.
2. Make the salad
Using the side of the box grater with the large holes, grate the apple.
Add the apple to a large bowl and mix it together with the shallot slices.
Pluck the cilantro leaves off the stems and add them to the bowl.
With clean hands or tongs, mix the dressing into the apples until the apples are well coated. Before serving, sprinkle the cashews on top.
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie 23 min ago
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Blue Line trains 'significantly' delayed 22 min ago
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours 46 min ago
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles 17 min ago
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21 33 min ago
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting 41 min ago
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools 11 min ago
- Indiana soldier among 6 dead in Afghanistan crash 45 min ago
- Ga lottery winner to get Mega Millions $120M lump sum
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- 7 in :77
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 in Skokie
23 min ago