Sufganiyot (Jelly Doughnuts)
Jelly doughnuts are a common treat for Hanukkah in Israel.
Since the delicious doughnuts are fried in oil, the mitzvah of eating something fried in oil is fulfilled. These quick doughnuts are easy and children can help out with filling and rolling the confections.
- 1 scant tablespoon (1 package) dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup lukewarm milk or warm water*
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons (¼ stick) butter or canola oil
- Strawberry preserves or favorite flavor
- Sugar and cinnamon for rolling the doughnuts
1. Mix together the yeast, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, and the milk or water. Let sit for 10 minutes to proof the yeast. (You should see bubbles on the surface.)
2. Sift the flour and mix it with the remaining sugar, salt, cinnamon, egg yolks, and the yeast mixture.
3. Knead the dough until it forms a ball. Add the butter or oil. Knead some more, until the butter is well absorbed. Cover with a towel and let rise overnight in the refrigerator.
4. Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out the dough into 24 rounds with a juice glass, or any object about 2 inches in diameter. Transfer to a greased baking sheet and allow to rise again.
5. Fry in oil until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly and then fill with preserves in pastry bag fitted with tip. Roll the doughnuts in sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover
- Metra UP West train delayed by freight train
- South Shore Line trains delayed by cold 28 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- 7 in 77
26 min ago