No boring applesauce here! This latke topper is brightly colored, slightly tart, and a perfect complement for the crispy latkes.
I have been making this garnet-colored applesauce for years. When my kids were younger, I made large batches and served it as a healthy snack.
Yields 11/2 to 2 quarts applesauce
- 6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider or juice
- Pinch of kosher salt
1. Place all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan.
2. Cook uncovered over medium heat until the cranberries pop and the excess moisture evaporates. The applesauce may be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to one week or frozen for up to 2 months.
- Snow, cold fail to deter holiday shoppers 4 min ago
- Chicago pastor under investigation for child sex abuse
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Several injured in Racine pile-up
- 2-year-old girl killed by dog on South Side 39 min ago
- Patients celebrate holidays at Ronald McDonald House
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident
- FEMA canvassing tornado areas in Central Ill.
- Blackhawks G Crawford leaves game early with injury
- Chicago marks passing of Nelson Mandela
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- Cold weather brings flight delays, cancellations
- abcnews: Man trapped in empty plane at Houston Airport
- Snow, cold fail to deter holiday shoppers
4 min ago