Crispy Fried Leeks
Executive Sous Chef from Jack Binion's Steak House at Horseshoe Casino has a few ideas for dishes that are easy to transport.
4 leeks, lower white parts only
1 qt vegetable oil
Salt/pepper to taste
2 cups flour
1. Season Flour with salt and pepper.
2. Cut off top green parts of leeks. Will not use
3. Cut lower white part of leeks in half length wise
4. Now turn and slice into long, thin strips.
5. Coat with seasoned flour.
6. Place oil into dutch oven or sauté pan. Turn on heat on high.
7. Add floured leeks, shaking off excess flour first.
8. As oil heats, leeks will begin to fry and float. When crispy, around 3 to 5 minutes, carefully pull from oil with slotted spoon. Place on paper towel to drain. Season with salt and pepper again.
9. Use as garnish for braised pork with polenta
Tips: Using cold oil in pan, place floured leeks in cold oil and turn on heat, as oil heats up, leeks begin to fry and crisp without burning.
Tips: Leeks can be fried up to day in advance, just keep wrapped air tight.
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Ga lottery winner claims Mega Millions prize
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Mom honors son's memory by delivering toys to sick children
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago without tax breaks
- Durbin presses regulators to prevent tanker tragedies
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus