Corned Beef Sandwich Variations
March 17, 2012 (WLS) -- Corned beef sandwiches are a staple for St. Patrick's Day, but that does not mean you always have to prepare them the same way.
Chef Camille Parker from Le Cordon Bleu (link: http://www.chefs.edu/Chicago) in Chicago joined us in our ABC7 studio kitchen to show us how to "beef up" the classic corned beef sandwich and even make a low-fat version!
Le Cordon Bleu offers weekend MasterChef cooking classes for foodies looking to sharpen their cooking skills.
Chef Camille Parker's Recipes:
Skinny Corned Beef Sandwich with Watercress, Apple & Horseradish Slaw
(Makes 2 Sandwiches)
2 tblsps Fresh Horseradish Root (grated on a box grater)
1 Cameo, Gala or Fuji Apple (Grated on a box grater)
12 sprigs Watercress
2 tblsps Light Vinegar, such as Champagne
To Taste Freshly Ground Black Pepper
4 slices Rye Bread
6 slices Corned Beef
2 slices Smoked Gouda
3 tblsps Dijon mustard
Make the slaw by combining the first 5 ingredients.
Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
Spray with olive oil based pan release.
Spread the bread with the mustard, then place it side by side in the pan.
For each sandwich, layer the corned beef on one piece of bread and the Gouda on the other.
Cover with a lid, and let toast 2-3 minutes or until bread is golden and the cheese has melted.
Remove from the pan, and fill each sandwich with half of slaw mixture.
(Makes one sandwich)
2 slices Light Rye or Marble Rye Bread
2 slices Swiss Cheese
Thousand Island Dressing
3 slices Corned beef, Thinly Sliced
4 tblsps Butter, room temperature
1. Heat a large skillet or a griddle on medium-low heat.
2. Build each sandwich in the following order on the bread: one slice Swiss cheese, dressing, corned beef, sauerkraut and the second slice of Swiss cheese. Top with remaining bread slice, butter each top.
3. Place each sandwich, buttered side down, in the skillet or griddle. Grill sandwiches until both sides are golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Cut in half and serve immediately.
(Makes one sandwich)
Your favorite small roll or slider bun
Corned beef, thinly sliced
1. Slice the roll in half.
2. Mix the mayo with a little of the Sambal Olek to your taste.
3. Build with corn beef, kimchi and a dollop of spicy mayo.
- Boy Scouts to lift ban on openly gay scouts
- CPS security guard allegedly pushed student 15 min ago
- PETA honors Lombard firefighters for duck rescue
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Evanston school takes action after reports of 'sexting'
- Chicago pet store collecting donations for Oklahoma pets 12 min ago
- Zachary Fardon nominated for US Attorney
- CTU aims to have Emanuel ousted in 2015
- Bryeon Hunter mom pleads not guilty in death of son
- Villa Park suspect grabbed girl, 13, police say
- Slide tips over, injures 6 Algonquin Lakes students
- Monk accused in Antioch child luring out on bond
- Chicago fast food workers protest for higher wages
- abcnews: IRS' Lois Lerner Placed on Leave
- CPS security guard allegedly pushed student
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos