Strawberry Napoleon with Orange, Basil and Mascarpone
March 19, 2012 -- A perfect mix of spring flavors from West Town Tavern.
- 1/2 recipe favorite recipe or purchased pie pastry
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Basil sprigs, for garnish
On a lightly floured surface, roll the pie pastry until it is 1/8 inch thick. Cut the pastry into 3-inch wide strips and cut the strips into 3-inch squares. Roll pastry scraps as needed to make 12 squares. Place the pastry squares on parchment-lined baking sheets. Brush them lightly with 2 tablespoons cream
In a small bowl combine 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar and the cinnamon Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar evenly over the pastry squares and prick the squares all over with a fork. Chill the pastry for 30 minutes.
Set aside 6 small, perfect strawberries for garnish and slice the remaining strawberries thickly. Place the strawberries in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and toss gently. Set aside to macerate. Bake the pastry squares for 20 minutes or until crisp and dry. Let cool.
Scoop the mascarpone cheese into a bowl. In another medium bowl whisk the cream until it holds soft peaks. Gently fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone to lighten it. Fold in the powdered sugar, basil and orange zest.
When ready to serve, set one pastry square on each of six dessert plates and top each square with a dollop of mascarpone cream. Top the cream with the strawberry mixture, dividing evenly. Place the remaining pastry squares on top of the strawberries and spoon a little mascarpone in the center of each. Position a whole strawberry in the cream and sprinkle the desserts with powdered sugar.
Garnish with basil sprigs.
Adapted from "West Town Tavern: Contemporary Comfort Food" by Susan Goss with Drew Goss All rights reserved.
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn; no winner
- Barrington Hills school bus crashes with snow plow
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash
- Sen. Kirk released after gall bladder surgery
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Attempted child abduction on Chicago's Southwest Side
- EB 80/94 reopens at Cline after multi-vehicle crash
- DiGiorno pizza drops Wisconsin dairy farm over cow abuse video
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters
- What electronics will be under your tree?
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney