Diabetes Alert Day | Diabetic-friendly dessert recipes
March 26, 2012 -- Diabetes is a serious disease that strikes nearly 26 million children and adults in the US. Nearly a quarter of them -- 7 million people -- do not even know they have it.
An addition 79 million adults, or one in 3 American adults, have prediabetes, which puts them at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes. Early diagnosis is critical to successful treatment and delaying or preventing some of its health related complications. American Diabetes Association Alert Day (Tuesday, March 27th) is a one-day "wake-up call" asking the public to take the Diabetes Risk Test to find out if they are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes. The Diabetes Risk Test asks users to answer simple questions about weight, age, family history and other potential risk factors for prediabetes or type 2 diabetes. Although Alert Day is a one-day event, the Diabetes Risk Test is available year-round.
Chef Michael Digby, is not currently diabetic, but his family has a genetic predisposition to diabetes so he is at high risk. Digby was recently featured on the Food Network's reality show, "Fat Chef". He was very successful on the program. After 16 weeks of working out 7 days a week, improving his eating habits and changing his mindset, he successfully lost 100 pounds.
- Three diabetic-friendly desserts from Chef Digby
- Tiramisu Bites
- Healthy Fruit Parfait
- Cinnamon Oranges
Other resources: kovlerdiabetescenter.org
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway 50 min ago
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake