Vegan Indian cooking | Recipes from Anupy Singla
July 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Anupy Singla's first book, "The Indian Slow Cooker" is still the #1 Indian cookbook on Amazon after 2 years. Her new cook book, "Vegan Indian Cooking", is a unique guide to preparing traditional Indian recipes entirely out of vegan ingredients.
It features more than 50 recipes and use vegan alternatives to cream, butter and meat. Singla say there is a misconception when it comes to curry powder and Indian food. Curry powder is a key Indian spice, but is not a traditional Indian spice. Singla writes that curry is a blend that British folks who had spent time in India created to mimic the tastes of smells of Indian food. The word curry is used in India, but it is used generally to refer to a dish that has a broth, such as chicken curry.
Top 6 spices to keep on hand for Indian food: Cumin seeds, turmeric powder, garam masala, red chile pepper, mustard seeds, and coriander powder
To find "Vegan Indian Cooking" or Anupy's Masala Dabba (spice holder), visit http://www.indianasapplepie.com
- CPS protesters give up sit-in, school closes for good 54 min ago
- Hawks fans anxiously awaited OT goal, tied series 34 min ago
- LeBron headband absence could be key for Miami Heat win
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Blackhawks beat Bruins 6-5 in Game 4 OT, tie series 2-2 56 min ago
- 9 students hospitalized after pepper spray accident
- More than 8 percent of Illinois bridges structurally deficient
- Skokie mosquito tests positive for West Nile virus
- Red Line reconstruction project on time, within budget
- Man convicted with twin faces new sex trafficking charges
- State lawmakers send pension crisis to committee
- Body ID'd as missing UofC student, 20
- Long lines for Cook County flood assistance
- abcnews: Ohio Town Police Chief a Facebook Hit
- CPS protesters give up sit-in, school...
54 min ago