Vegan Indian cooking | Recipes from Anupy Singla
July 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Anupy Singla's first book, "The Indian Slow Cooker" is still the #1 Indian cookbook on Amazon after 2 years. Her new cook book, "Vegan Indian Cooking", is a unique guide to preparing traditional Indian recipes entirely out of vegan ingredients.
It features more than 50 recipes and use vegan alternatives to cream, butter and meat. Singla say there is a misconception when it comes to curry powder and Indian food. Curry powder is a key Indian spice, but is not a traditional Indian spice. Singla writes that curry is a blend that British folks who had spent time in India created to mimic the tastes of smells of Indian food. The word curry is used in India, but it is used generally to refer to a dish that has a broth, such as chicken curry.
Top 6 spices to keep on hand for Indian food: Cumin seeds, turmeric powder, garam masala, red chile pepper, mustard seeds, and coriander powder
To find "Vegan Indian Cooking" or Anupy's Masala Dabba (spice holder), visit http://www.indianasapplepie.com
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney