Vegan Indian cooking | Recipes from Anupy Singla
July 23, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Anupy Singla's first book, "The Indian Slow Cooker" is still the #1 Indian cookbook on Amazon after 2 years. Her new cook book, "Vegan Indian Cooking", is a unique guide to preparing traditional Indian recipes entirely out of vegan ingredients.
It features more than 50 recipes and use vegan alternatives to cream, butter and meat. Singla say there is a misconception when it comes to curry powder and Indian food. Curry powder is a key Indian spice, but is not a traditional Indian spice. Singla writes that curry is a blend that British folks who had spent time in India created to mimic the tastes of smells of Indian food. The word curry is used in India, but it is used generally to refer to a dish that has a broth, such as chicken curry.
Top 6 spices to keep on hand for Indian food: Cumin seeds, turmeric powder, garam masala, red chile pepper, mustard seeds, and coriander powder
To find "Vegan Indian Cooking" or Anupy's Masala Dabba (spice holder), visit http://www.indianasapplepie.com
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Minimum wage hike referendums on Tuesday's ballots
- NU women's basketball team committed to autism awareness
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...