("Vegan Indian Cooking", by Anupy Singla) This dish was one of my biggest surprises. The soy yogurt mixed perfectly with the spices and provided the much-needed moisture and texture that normal 'dairy' yogurt does for traditional Indian curries.
The tofu was an especially delicious addition, especially if baked first. You can also use unbaked tofu, but this will naturally have a softer texture, which I liked but did not make the cut with my more discerning husband. Make it both ways and decide for yourself.
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 small yellow or red onion, peeled and chopped into 4 pieces
- 1 2-inch piece ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and trimmed
- 1 medium tomato, quartered
- 2 - 3 green Thai, serrano, or cayenne chile peppers, stems removed (chopped in half)
- 1/2 cup plain, unsweetened soy yogurt
- 1 heaping teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi), lightly crushed in your hand to release flavor
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder or cayenne
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 2-inch cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom pods (lightly crushed)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 cup water
- 14 oz. extra firm, organic tofu, baked and cubed (see recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
1. In a food processor, grind the onion, ginger, garlic, tomato, and chiles until you have a smooth, slightly watery paste. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Add yogurt, salt, garam masala, fenugreek leaves, and red chile. Mix well.
3. In a deep, heavy pan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
4. Add asafoetida, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves. Heat for 30 seconds until the seeds sizzle.
5. Add soy yogurt mixture and water. Bring to a boil and then turn heat down and simmer for 3 - 5 minutes until the mixture slightly thickens. This step is key. The spices need to cook and blend evenly into the other ingredients.
6. Add tofu. Simmer for another 4 - 5 minutes. Remove whole spices, garnish with fresh cilantro, and serve immediately over a bed of brown or white basmati rice.
- Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 43 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 1 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 17 min ago
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
17 min ago
- Weekender Report by Roz Varon
14 min ago