Pan Seared Scallops w/ Mango Ginger Habanera Sauce
July 24, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A recipe from Chicago Chef Julius Russell.
6-8 dry (U/10) scallops
4-5 mangoes (diced)
2 shallots (diced)
2Tb Chilean Olive Oil (Deleyda)
2 cups chicken stock
¼ cup fresh ginger (grated)
1-2 habanera peppers (seeds removed and cut in half)
½ cup white wine (Chilean Sauvignon Blanc&Concha Y Toro)
2 Tb unsalted butter (chilled and cut into cubes)
Chef Julius' Salt & Chef Julius' Pepper
Place a 2qt - 3qt saucepan on medium heat for 2min. Add the olive oil.
Next add the shallots and sauté 3-4minutes.
Next add the mangoes and sauté for 5min and then add the peppers.
Sauté this mixture for at least 5min. Lower the heat if you have to, bits of mango will very likely stick to the pan.
Add the ginger and sauté for 1min and then add the wine to deglaze the pan.
Stir regularly with the wooden spoon. Next add the chicken stock.
Allow this mixture to reduce by 1/3.
Use an immersion blender or transfer hot liquid to a standard blender. Puree until the mix is liquefied.
Return the liquefied mix to the saucepan and place on low heat.
Add the honey and cook for 2min and then the unsalted butter.
Taste and then add salt, pepper or more honey to your liking.
Scallops: Place medium sauté pan on high heat for 1-2 minutes.
Add 1Tb of Deleyda Olive oil and heat for 1 min more
Place dry scallops, seasoned with salt and pepper, in the pan at least 1 inch apart and let cook for 2 min
Using a fish spatula, turn scallops and cook for 2 minutes more
Remove from pan and set on serving plate. Spoon with Mango Sauce and serve with Domo Vegetarian Quinoa
- Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 18 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Yelp Reviews: Real or Fake?
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Body found in sewer ID'd as missing woman
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Scoozi restaurant closing in River North
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Crime scene expert testifies for Kustok defense
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub
- Teen struck, killed by Metra train
- ABC7's Ravi Baichwal takes part in dance event
- Set clocks ahead for daylight saving time
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD