Pan Seared Scallops w/ Mango Ginger Habanera Sauce
July 24, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A recipe from Chicago Chef Julius Russell.
6-8 dry (U/10) scallops
4-5 mangoes (diced)
2 shallots (diced)
2Tb Chilean Olive Oil (Deleyda)
2 cups chicken stock
¼ cup fresh ginger (grated)
1-2 habanera peppers (seeds removed and cut in half)
½ cup white wine (Chilean Sauvignon Blanc&Concha Y Toro)
2 Tb unsalted butter (chilled and cut into cubes)
Chef Julius' Salt & Chef Julius' Pepper
Place a 2qt - 3qt saucepan on medium heat for 2min. Add the olive oil.
Next add the shallots and sauté 3-4minutes.
Next add the mangoes and sauté for 5min and then add the peppers.
Sauté this mixture for at least 5min. Lower the heat if you have to, bits of mango will very likely stick to the pan.
Add the ginger and sauté for 1min and then add the wine to deglaze the pan.
Stir regularly with the wooden spoon. Next add the chicken stock.
Allow this mixture to reduce by 1/3.
Use an immersion blender or transfer hot liquid to a standard blender. Puree until the mix is liquefied.
Return the liquefied mix to the saucepan and place on low heat.
Add the honey and cook for 2min and then the unsalted butter.
Taste and then add salt, pepper or more honey to your liking.
Scallops: Place medium sauté pan on high heat for 1-2 minutes.
Add 1Tb of Deleyda Olive oil and heat for 1 min more
Place dry scallops, seasoned with salt and pepper, in the pan at least 1 inch apart and let cook for 2 min
Using a fish spatula, turn scallops and cook for 2 minutes more
Remove from pan and set on serving plate. Spoon with Mango Sauce and serve with Domo Vegetarian Quinoa
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 46 min ago
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn; no winner
- Barrington Hills school bus crashes with snow plow
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 51 min ago
- Cops: Drunk ambulance driver caused Uptown crash 54 min ago
- Sen. Kirk released after gall bladder surgery
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Attempted child abduction on Chicago's Southwest Side
- EB 80/94 reopens at Cline after multi-vehicle crash
- DiGiorno pizza drops Wisconsin dairy farm over cow abuse video
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant
- Frozen hydrants hamper CFD firefighters
- What electronics will be under your tree?
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
51 min ago
- 7 in 77
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city,...
46 min ago