Summertime tomato recipes
It's the time of year when the farmers market is filled with ripe tomatoes of all varieties.
If you have a garden at home, your tomato vines probably have more tomatoes than you know what to do with. Tomatoes are the star on the menu at Cucina Paradiso Restaurant. Co-owner, Anthony Gambino has some recipe ideas.
814 North Boulevard
- Pappardelle with heirloom tomatoes and burrata cheese
- Fried green tomato burgers
- Heirloom Tomato salad
- Anthony's Top Tomato Tips:
- When shopping for tomatoes look for an even and glossy color. The texture should be somewhere between soft and firm.
- Check the bottom of tomatoes, that's where they start to ripen. Some tomatoes ripen before they reach full color.
- Put unripe tomatoes in a cool dark place, arranging them in a single layer. Check frequently for holes, cracks or even tiny specks of rot and remove any damaged tomatoes immediately.
- Store ripe tomatoes at room temperature for best flavor; they'll keep for a day or two. If you need to keep them longer, put them in the refrigerator. Use the butter compartment if they'll fit; it's the warmest part.
- Freeze tomatoes, ripe or green, either chopped or made into sauce, for use through the winter. For convenience, use individual freezer containers that hold just enough for one recipe.
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River 56 min ago
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- Blackhawks lose 4-3 in OT to St. Louis Blues
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home