Sticky Toffee Pudding Recipe | National Dessert Month
October 9, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- October is set aside as National Dessert Month. What better time than now to use fall seasonal fruits and vegetables to make a sweet treat. Sarah Jordan with the BOKA Restaurant group shows us her favorites this season.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp fresh brewed espresso
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
In a bowl, combine the dates, hot water, baking soda, espresso and vanilla extract. Allow to sit for ten minutes.
Meanwhile in the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the sugar and butter. With the paddle attachment, cream together for three minutes on medium speed.
Sift together the flour and baking powder, set aside.
Puree the date mixture until smooth.
Turn the mixer to low speed, add the eggs one at a time.
Add one third of the flour , followed by half the of the pureed date.
Repeat this step and then add the remaining flour.
Grease a 9 inch cake pan and fill half way with batter. Bake at 350 F for 25 to 25 minutes.
- Toffee Sauce
- 1 cup DARK Brown sugar
- 1/8 butter
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tbsp dark rum / bourbon
Combine all the ingredients, except the rum in a medium saucepan. Over medium heat , bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and add rum/bourbon
Serve cake slightly warm in a bowl, ladle toffee sauce liberally over the top of the cake. Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche.
- Boy, 9, recovering from East Chicago pit bull attack
- Beverly mom, children found safe in Wisconsin
- CTA Belmont bypass plan could affect 16 buildings
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Program Note: Jeopardy to air Late Night
- Man shot in Lincoln Square 51 min ago
- Francis Cardinal George holds Holy Thursday mass 24 min ago
- Photos released in Yellow Line attack
- Investigation continues after boy dies in Whiting hit-and-run
- Lake Station mayor, family plead not guilty to corruption charges
- Chicago woman owns first Ford Mustang ever sold 15 min ago
- Presidential library in Chicago takes step forward
- Boy, 15, charged as adult in South Side shooting
- abcnews: Ferry Captain Among 1st to Abandon Ship
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos