Pumpkin and Goat Cheese Croquettes
Chef Andrew Zimmerman of Sepia restaurant in Chicago's West Loop shares some favorite fall recipes.
Yield: about 5 dozen
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1 3/4 cups a.p. flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 lb. Fresh goat cheese
- 3/4 cup diced pumpkin or butternut squash
- pinch grated nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
Line a pan with plastic wrap.
Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add ¾ cup of the flour to the pan and stir to make a blond roux.
Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil whisking constantly to avoid any lumps. Cook until thick. Reduce the heat and whisk in the goat cheese, stirring until completely melted.
Sauté the squash pieces in a touch of olive oil until just beginning to get tender. DO NOT OVER COOK. Fold the squash into the goat cheese mixture. Taste and add the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
Pour the mixture into the plastic wrap lined pan and smooth it to level.
Chill the mixture in the freezer until firm but still soft enough to cut, about three hours.
Set up a standard breading mis-en-place with the remaining flour the eggs and the breadcrumbs.
Invert the croquette mixture onto a cutting board and cut into 1 1/2" cubes.
Working in small batches and keeping the rest cold, bread the croquettes.
Keep refrigerated until ready to fry.
Bread the croquettas by first tossing them in the remaining flour, then the beaten eggs and then the bread crumbs.
Fry in a large pot of oil heated to 350 degrees on a fry thermometer. Cook for about 3 minutes and drain on paper toweling.
- Falling ice triggered by latest winter storm
- Young girl killed by falling bookcase in Northbrook
- 3-year old killed in Rogers Park fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Stone lions vandalized at Chicago museum
- Police: Woman sexually assaulted on Northwest Side
- Pre-high blood pressure can increase stroke risk, study finds
- Snow carving left by artist at State, Van Buren
- Political consultant hit by falling ice
- Chicago River to be dyed green this weekend despite ice
- Man charged with shooting Chicago officer
- Chicago students take part in poetry festival
- Video: Ice chunks undulate on Lake Michigan
- abcnews: Amazon Accused of Cheating on Free Shipping