Chef Jose Garces' Tiradito de Lubina (Black Bass Ceviche with Yuzu)
November 1, 2012 (WLS) -- A recipe from the Iron Chef, Jose Garces.
Tiradito de Lubina (Black Bass Ceviche with Yuzu)
Spicy red ají rocoto, an indigenous chile central to traditional Peruvian cooking, is hard to find outside of Peru.
Though you would never, ever use dried chiles in a ceviche, ají rocoto chile paste, found in most Latin groceries, makes a good stand-in. Yuzu fruits look like golfball-size grapefruits. Both the juice and rind are used in Japanese cuisine to impart tart flavor and strong citrusy fragrance. The juice and packaged paste are typically found in the United States, usually stocked in Asian groceries.
1/2 lb fresh skinless black bass fillet, pin bones removed, sliced paper-thin on the diagonal
- Tiradito Sauce
- 1/4 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 Thai chile, seeds and ribs removed, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp ají rocoto chile paste
- 3 Tbsp yuzu juice
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Sea salt
- Granulated sugar
3 Tbsp light sesame oil
2-inch piece lemongrass (inner white part only), lightly crushed and minced (1 Tbsp)
1 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
Garlic Chips (optional)
Fresh basil leaves (optional)
Chill four small plates.
To make the ceviche, fan the fish slices on the chilled plates and lightly season with sea salt.
To make the tiradito sauce, combine the onion, chile, chile paste, yuzu juice, lime juice, orange juice, soy sauce, olive oil, agave nectar, and cilantro in a small bowl. Mix well and season to taste with salt and sugar.
To make the sesame oil, in a small sauté pan, combine the sesame oil, lemongrass, and garlic and cook over low heat just long enough to warm through, about 1 minute. Pour the hot sesame oil mixture over the fish slices.
To serve, spoon the tiradito sauce over the fish. Garnish with garlic chips and basil leaves.
- Blackhawks beat Blues in OT with Patrick Kane goal 49 min ago
- Exclusive: Boy 'on alert' after surviving pit bull attack
- Judge orders day care worker released from jail
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Bears' 2014 schedule released
- Ebertfest 2014 underway in Champaign
- Cubs celebrate 100th birthday of Wrigley Field
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Religious display vandalized at Daley Plaza
- Sites suggested for George Lucas museum in Chicago
- Ravinia tickets on sale Thursday for 2014 concert season
- NTSB head calls for rail tank car changes
- Pine tar gets Michael Pineda booted from Yankees, BoSox game 28 min ago
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game