Chef Jose Garces' Tiradito de Lubina (Black Bass Ceviche with Yuzu)
November 1, 2012 (WLS) -- A recipe from the Iron Chef, Jose Garces.
Tiradito de Lubina (Black Bass Ceviche with Yuzu)
Spicy red ají rocoto, an indigenous chile central to traditional Peruvian cooking, is hard to find outside of Peru.
Though you would never, ever use dried chiles in a ceviche, ají rocoto chile paste, found in most Latin groceries, makes a good stand-in. Yuzu fruits look like golfball-size grapefruits. Both the juice and rind are used in Japanese cuisine to impart tart flavor and strong citrusy fragrance. The juice and packaged paste are typically found in the United States, usually stocked in Asian groceries.
1/2 lb fresh skinless black bass fillet, pin bones removed, sliced paper-thin on the diagonal
- Tiradito Sauce
- 1/4 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 Thai chile, seeds and ribs removed, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp ají rocoto chile paste
- 3 Tbsp yuzu juice
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Sea salt
- Granulated sugar
3 Tbsp light sesame oil
2-inch piece lemongrass (inner white part only), lightly crushed and minced (1 Tbsp)
1 tsp minced garlic (1 clove)
Garlic Chips (optional)
Fresh basil leaves (optional)
Chill four small plates.
To make the ceviche, fan the fish slices on the chilled plates and lightly season with sea salt.
To make the tiradito sauce, combine the onion, chile, chile paste, yuzu juice, lime juice, orange juice, soy sauce, olive oil, agave nectar, and cilantro in a small bowl. Mix well and season to taste with salt and sugar.
To make the sesame oil, in a small sauté pan, combine the sesame oil, lemongrass, and garlic and cook over low heat just long enough to warm through, about 1 minute. Pour the hot sesame oil mixture over the fish slices.
To serve, spoon the tiradito sauce over the fish. Garnish with garlic chips and basil leaves.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer