Chef Jose Garces' Solterito (Edamame Salad with Garlic Vinaigrette)
A recipe from the Iron Chef, Jose Garces.
Solterito (Edamame Salad with Garlic Vinaigrette)
Use the leftover garlic vinaigrette as a dressing for any salad or simply prepared vegetable, or as a marinade for chicken.
- Garlic Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup minced garlic (12 to 16 cloves)
- 2 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- 1/2 lb frozen shelled edamame (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 lb Chinese long beans, haricots verts, or regular green beans
- 2 heads Boston or Bibb lettuce, separated into leaves, rinsed, and patted dry
- 4 oz queso fresco, diced (1 cup)
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper
To make the vinaigrette, heat the oil in a small sauté pan over very low heat, add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 minute, just until the garlic is fragrant and begins to take on a little color.
Use a slotted spoon to transfer the toasted garlic and ginger to a blender, setting aside the oil.
Add the vinegar, mustard, and water to the garlic and ginger and purée until very smooth. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the reserved oil and continue blending until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate in an airtight container until needed, up to 3 days.
To make the salad, bring a saucepan of well-salted water to a boil and prepare an ice bath. Boil the edamame for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer them to the ice bath to cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Lift out of the ice bath and drain well.
Boil the long beans in the same water as the edamame for 2 to 3 minutes, cool them in the ice bath for 2 to 3 minutes, and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces.
Combine the edamame and beans with the lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and cilantro in a large bowl. Lightly dress the salad with 3 tablespoons of the garlic vinaigrette (reserve the remainder for another use) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic 58 min ago
- Second video allegedly shows guard push student
- Memorial Day travel: Illinois roadways, airports busy
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- James Ealy guilty in 2006 Burger King murder
- $1.5M boat catches fire, trespasser arrested
- Distance not the issue with CPS safe passage
- South Loop shooting injures 2
- Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell
- Free Sunday parking plan faces scrutiny
- Concealed carry bill passes Illinois House
- Photos: Skagit River Bridge Collapse on I-5
- Bears to retire Mike Ditka number
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO Scolded By 9-Year-Old
- Contaminated injections traced to IL clinic
58 min ago