Chef Jose Garces' Solterito (Edamame Salad with Garlic Vinaigrette)
A recipe from the Iron Chef, Jose Garces.
Solterito (Edamame Salad with Garlic Vinaigrette)
Use the leftover garlic vinaigrette as a dressing for any salad or simply prepared vegetable, or as a marinade for chicken.
- Garlic Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup minced garlic (12 to 16 cloves)
- 2 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 Tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- 3/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
- 1/2 lb frozen shelled edamame (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 lb Chinese long beans, haricots verts, or regular green beans
- 2 heads Boston or Bibb lettuce, separated into leaves, rinsed, and patted dry
- 4 oz queso fresco, diced (1 cup)
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Freshly ground black pepper
To make the vinaigrette, heat the oil in a small sauté pan over very low heat, add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 minute, just until the garlic is fragrant and begins to take on a little color.
Use a slotted spoon to transfer the toasted garlic and ginger to a blender, setting aside the oil.
Add the vinegar, mustard, and water to the garlic and ginger and purée until very smooth. With the machine running, slowly drizzle in the reserved oil and continue blending until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate in an airtight container until needed, up to 3 days.
To make the salad, bring a saucepan of well-salted water to a boil and prepare an ice bath. Boil the edamame for 2 to 3 minutes, then transfer them to the ice bath to cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Lift out of the ice bath and drain well.
Boil the long beans in the same water as the edamame for 2 to 3 minutes, cool them in the ice bath for 2 to 3 minutes, and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces.
Combine the edamame and beans with the lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and cilantro in a large bowl. Lightly dress the salad with 3 tablespoons of the garlic vinaigrette (reserve the remainder for another use) and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Police: 2 males found dead in South Side residence
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake