Chef Ben's Recipes: Mussels with garlic and wine; Frites
November 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- You're invited to experience French culture and language and of course food at an annual event right here in Chicago.
1. Mussels with garlic and wine
1 lb. Mussels, cleaned and debearded
1 t Garlic, minced
2 t Shallot, minced
1/2 c Dry White Wine
1 T Canola oil
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over high heat.
Add shallots and garlic and sweat until just translucent.
Add mussels and white wine.
Cook over high heat until all mussels are open.
Serve with broth.
2. Frites Ingredients:
2 ea. large russet potatoes
oil for frying
In a large, heavy bottom pot, heat oil to 275 F.
Wash potatoes thoroughly.
Cut into 1/4"x1/4" sticks.
Rinse under cold running water to remove excess starch.
Working in small batches, blanch potatoes in oil for about four minutes or until just tender all the way through, allowing time between batches for the oil to recover its temperature.
Increase heat on oil to 375 F.
Again working in small batches, fry potatoes until golden brown.
Salt liberally as soon as frites come out of the oil.
- Falling ice smashes car windshield in West Loop
- Rat problem could increase with spring thaw
- Teenager sexually assaulted in Logan Square
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- MS Awareness Month events in Chicago area
- Priest: Billboard with assault weapon 'disrespectful'
- Potholes prompt revamped street paving plan
- Armed robberies prompt alert in South Shore
- CPS student's murder remains unsolved 5 years later
- Ohio Turnpike crash kills 3; Victims ID'd
- Quinn makes 1st public event since controversial audit
- Chicago River to be dyed green Saturday morning
- Photos: 'Modern Family' house on market for $2.35M
- abcnews: Cracked Dam Leads to Human Remains 58 min ago
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for...
53 min ago