Chef Ben's Recipes: Mussels with garlic and wine; Frites
November 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- You're invited to experience French culture and language and of course food at an annual event right here in Chicago.
1. Mussels with garlic and wine
1 lb. Mussels, cleaned and debearded
1 t Garlic, minced
2 t Shallot, minced
1/2 c Dry White Wine
1 T Canola oil
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over high heat.
Add shallots and garlic and sweat until just translucent.
Add mussels and white wine.
Cook over high heat until all mussels are open.
Serve with broth.
2. Frites Ingredients:
2 ea. large russet potatoes
oil for frying
In a large, heavy bottom pot, heat oil to 275 F.
Wash potatoes thoroughly.
Cut into 1/4"x1/4" sticks.
Rinse under cold running water to remove excess starch.
Working in small batches, blanch potatoes in oil for about four minutes or until just tender all the way through, allowing time between batches for the oil to recover its temperature.
Increase heat on oil to 375 F.
Again working in small batches, fry potatoes until golden brown.
Salt liberally as soon as frites come out of the oil.
- Teen dead after car chase and shooting
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- South Korea ferry captain, 2 crew members arrested
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- I-Team: Kevin Trudeau, an unlikely pauper
- Woman dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan
- Chicago woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- CTA Orange Line track work underway this weekend
- Boy who drowned in Crystal Lake pond ID'd
- CPD bike patrols to swarm high-crime areas
- Man charged in CTA Yellow Line attack on senior citizen
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake