Chef Ben's Recipes: Mussels with garlic and wine; Frites
November 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- You're invited to experience French culture and language and of course food at an annual event right here in Chicago.
1. Mussels with garlic and wine
1 lb. Mussels, cleaned and debearded
1 t Garlic, minced
2 t Shallot, minced
1/2 c Dry White Wine
1 T Canola oil
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over high heat.
Add shallots and garlic and sweat until just translucent.
Add mussels and white wine.
Cook over high heat until all mussels are open.
Serve with broth.
2. Frites Ingredients:
2 ea. large russet potatoes
oil for frying
In a large, heavy bottom pot, heat oil to 275 F.
Wash potatoes thoroughly.
Cut into 1/4"x1/4" sticks.
Rinse under cold running water to remove excess starch.
Working in small batches, blanch potatoes in oil for about four minutes or until just tender all the way through, allowing time between batches for the oil to recover its temperature.
Increase heat on oil to 375 F.
Again working in small batches, fry potatoes until golden brown.
Salt liberally as soon as frites come out of the oil.
- Snow falls as shoppers brave cold temps
- Chicago pastor under investigation for child sex abuse 55 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Driver charged after bicyclist killed in Douglas Park accident 17 min ago
- Church holds service outside after roof collapse
- Bears, Cowboys prepped for frigid Monday game
- Patients celebrate holidays at Ronald McDonald House 29 min ago
- Man dies after Evanston shooting, car crash
- Illinois Tollway readies full fleet of snowplows
- Ice storm, sleet, deep freeze in Mid-Atlantic, East Coast areas
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world
- Kennedy Center Honors for Joel, MacLaine, Santana, Hancock,...
- ON DEMAND: ABC 7 Chicago's 'Heart and Soul'