Chef Ben's Recipes: Mussels with garlic and wine; Frites
November 4, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- You're invited to experience French culture and language and of course food at an annual event right here in Chicago.
1. Mussels with garlic and wine
1 lb. Mussels, cleaned and debearded
1 t Garlic, minced
2 t Shallot, minced
1/2 c Dry White Wine
1 T Canola oil
Heat oil in a large sauté pan over high heat.
Add shallots and garlic and sweat until just translucent.
Add mussels and white wine.
Cook over high heat until all mussels are open.
Serve with broth.
2. Frites Ingredients:
2 ea. large russet potatoes
oil for frying
In a large, heavy bottom pot, heat oil to 275 F.
Wash potatoes thoroughly.
Cut into 1/4"x1/4" sticks.
Rinse under cold running water to remove excess starch.
Working in small batches, blanch potatoes in oil for about four minutes or until just tender all the way through, allowing time between batches for the oil to recover its temperature.
Increase heat on oil to 375 F.
Again working in small batches, fry potatoes until golden brown.
Salt liberally as soon as frites come out of the oil.
- Dangerous cold for Bears game
- Deer falls through ice in Willow Springs
- Passengers stranded overnight at O'Hare airport
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mom wants justice in toddler's dog death
- Rod Blagojevich arrest 5th anniversary: a look back
- Sen. Kirk undergoes gall bladder surgery
- Chicago teachers rally for education issues
- Stained-glass exhibit opens in Chicago pedway 54 min ago
- Heisman Trophy 2013 Finalists: Jameis Winston, NIU's Jordan...
- Tilting tourist attraction may come to Hancock Center
- Eataly Chicago closes for day- one week after opening
- Rich Williamson of Ill. GOP dies at 64
- abcnews: Most Popular Gifts: 2013 vs. 1913
- SNAP: Reaction to Lakeview priest...
29 min ago