Thanksgiving - Lighter Side Dishes
November 11, 2012 -- A traditional Thanksgiving feast usually includes turkey, ham or roast, along with mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes and more.
That can get very heavy, but there is a way to lighten up your side dishes. Tony Stallone with Peapod (peapod.com) came into our ABC7 studio kitchen to show us recipes using shallots and cauliflower.
3 Tbsp. Butter
1.5 lbs Peeled Shallots
1/2 cup White Sugar
1 cup Burgundy Wine
6 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
Melt butter in skillet over low heat.
Add onions and sugar; cook over medium heat until almost all liquid is evaporated. Stir occasionally.
Add wine, vinegar & salt to above mixture and cook over medium low heat until almost all
liquid is evaporated.
Madeira Glazed Shallots
approx. 4 servings
1 lb Peeled Shallots
5 Tbsp. Butter
1 cup Chicken Stock
1 cup Madeira Wine
Heat butter in heavy saucepan and cook shallots until golden on both sides. Add chicken stock and simmer slowly until liquid is almost evaporated.
Add wine and continue to simmer slowly until almost all liquid is evaporated. Stir occasionally.
Roasted Mashed Cauliflower and Shallots
2 cups shallots
Quarter or eighth shallots and toss with 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
Roast on tray in 400 degree oven until golden, about 15 minutes.
1 head cauliflower
2 Tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. white pepper
salt to taste
roasted shallots (see recipe above)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Remove leaves and core from cauliflower. Slice cauliflower into 3/8" slices.
Pour butter into 9x13 pan. Add stock and place cauliflower evenly in pan. Cover with foil.
Roast for 20 minutes.
Remove foil and then turn each cauliflower slice over.
Continue to roast uncovered until very tender, turning cauliflower over as necessary so that each side becomes golden.
Transfer mixture to food processor and puree until very creamy.
Add stock and sour cream, and puree until well mixed.
Add parmesan cheese, pepper and salt and puree until combined.
Top with roasted shallots.
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting 22 min ago
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food 31 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run 19 min ago
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood...
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos