Chef Susan Goss's Recipe: Lemon Chess Pie
November 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Susan Goss, chef and co-owner of West Town Tavern, shares her recipe for a locally-inspired fall dessert.
Makes 1 9" pie, serving 8
1 9" pre-baked pie crust for single crust pie
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornmeal
5 large eggs
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest (1 large lemon )
6 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup buttermilk
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Preheat oven to 350°F. Place pie shell on rimmed baking sheet and set side.
In a large bowl with a wire whisk, whisk together the sugar, salt, flour and cornmeal.
In another large bowl whisk the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice, buttermilk and butter. Scrape the egg mixture into the flour mixture and whisk to combine.
Pour the filling into the shell, filling it to the top. Bake the pie until it is set in the center and does not wobble when moved, about 45-50 minutes.
Let the pie cool completely on a rack.
Pie can be baked 1 day ahead and stored, loosely covered with foil at room temperature.
Filing can be prepared up to 1 day ahead and refrigerated, tightly covered. Whisk to recombine before using. Butter may solidify.
© Susan Goss and Drew Goss, all rights reserved
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway 32 min ago
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Bloomingdale Trail bridge moved from Ashland to Western
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home 21 min ago