Chef Susan Goss's Recipe: Apple-Butternut Squash Tart
November 13, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Susan Goss, chef and co-owner of West Town Tavern, shares her recipe for a locally-inspired fall dessert.
1 10" pre-baked tart shell, cooled 2 large eggs ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar 3/4 cup butternut squash puree (see note) ¾ cup roasted apple puree (see note) 1 cup heavy cream ¾ teaspoon ground ginger 4 teaspoons lemon juice 1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon ¾ teaspoon kosher salt ¾ teaspoon pure vanilla extract ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice 4 teaspoons melted unsalted butter, cooled
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Place tart shell on rimmed baking sheet and reserve.
Combine remaining ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Strain through a medium mesh strainer and pour into tart shell, filling shell to the rim.
Transfer filled shell to oven and bake until puffed, golden brown around the edges and just slightly wobbly in the center, about 45 minutes.
Let tart cool on wire rack to room temperature. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Filling may be made 1 day ahead and refrigerated, tightly sealed. Tart shell can be baked one day ahead and stored at room temperature, loosely wrapped in foil. Tart can be made 1 day ahead and stored, covered in foil at room temperature, or wrapped in plastic and refrigerated.
© Susan Goss and Drew Goss, all rights reserved
Cut a medium butternut squash in half and roast, cut side down at 350°F until soft, about 30-45 minutes. Let cool and scrape meat from the skin. Pass meat through a food mill to remove seeds and fibers and reserve. Squash puree may be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 1 month.
Cut 2 medium skin-on baking apples into large wedges and place in a medium casserole with a lid. Bake at 350°F about 30 minutes until soft. Pass through a food mill to remove skin and seeds. Apple puree may be refrigerated up to 3 days or frozen up to 1 month.
- Baby found in car seat pronounced dead
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Wind Chill Advisory in effect for city, suburbs
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- Family searching for missing Lansing man
- 2 moms seek answers in sons' police shooting deaths
- Stanley Wrice, alleged police torture victim, released from...
- Man sues, alleging victimization by convicted priest
- abcnews: How Tom Hanks became Walt Disney