Let's Dish: Wild Rice Artichoke Gouda Frittata
The Live Well Network host, Chris Koetke, knows that cooking meals with eggs help save on your food budget, so he created an artichoke gouda frittata recipe that is inexpensive, and so good, it can be served any time of day.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes Serves: 6
1/2 cup wild rice
11/2 cups water
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup onion diced
7 oz. jar of marinated well-drained artichoke hearts, diced
9 eggs, well mixed
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 oz. grated smoked cheese (the more flavorful the better)
1. Bring wild rice, water, and salt to a boil over moderate heat. Reduce heat and simmer for about 40-50 minutes, or until the rice begins to pop out of its shell. Strain and reserve.
2. In a 10 inch non-stick saute pan, saute onion in olive oil over moderate heat until the onion softens and begins to caramelize. Add artichoke and cook for 2 more minutes.
3. Add wild rice, eggs, and black pepper. Stir lightly until the eggs begin to cook on the bottom of the pan. Cover and reduce heat to moderate. Cook for about 5-6 minutes or until the bottom is lightly browned and the eggs have started to solidify. It may be necessary to reduce the heat further to help the center of the frittata to cook through.
4. Remove the lid and place a plate on top of the eggs. Holding the plate firmly to the top of the sauté pan, flip the frittata onto the plate. Slide the frittata back into the pan to continue cooking what was previously the top. Top with grated cheese. Cook for 3-5 more minutes until the eggs are fully cooked.
5. Slide unto a plate and cut into 6 pieces.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 57 min ago
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
57 min ago