Beef Brisket Demonstration
December 9, 2012 -- Dave Zino, Executive Chef with the National Cattlemen's Beef Association showed ABC7 Chicago his favorite way to prepare beef brisket.
1 boneless beef brisket, flat cut (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds) 2 tablespoons ground cumin 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 2 tablespoons vegetable oil Salt and pepper 2 tablespoons minced garlic 1 cup cran-apple, cranberry or apple juice, divided 3 to 4 medium red apples (such as Jonathan, Red Delicious, Jazz or Fuji), cored, cut into16 wedges each (about 1-1/4 pounds) 3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries 2 tablespoons cornstarch
1.Combine cumin and cinnamon; rub over beef brisket. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown brisket; season beef with salt and pepper, as desired.
2.Add 3/4 cup juice and garlic to stockpot; bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-3/4 hours. Add apples and cranberries to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until brisket and apples are fork-tender, stirring and rearranging apples once during cooking.
3.Remove brisket; keep warm. Combine remaining 1/4 cup juice and cornstarch; stir cornstarch mixture into apple mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture has thickened, stirring frequently.
4.Trim fat from brisket. Carve diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve beef with apple mixture.
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24 24 min ago
- Program Note: Expanded World News tonight
- Florida man pleads guilty in Bears fan death
- Chicago Weather: Storms sweep through area
- ID sought for woman's body burned in Avondale Dumpster
- CPS protests continue ahead of key school closings vote
- Trial begins in Burger King manager's 2006 murder
- 2 charged in Markham man's murder
- 3 dolphins pregnant at Brookfield Zoo
- Wife douses husband with beer after Wrigley home run
- abcnews: See Jennifer Lawrence's 'X-Men' Look
- Oklahoma tornado death toll in Moore at 24
24 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos