Beef Brisket Demonstration
December 9, 2012 -- Dave Zino, Executive Chef with the National Cattlemen's Beef Association showed ABC7 Chicago his favorite way to prepare beef brisket.
1 boneless beef brisket, flat cut (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pounds) 2 tablespoons ground cumin 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 2 tablespoons vegetable oil Salt and pepper 2 tablespoons minced garlic 1 cup cran-apple, cranberry or apple juice, divided 3 to 4 medium red apples (such as Jonathan, Red Delicious, Jazz or Fuji), cored, cut into16 wedges each (about 1-1/4 pounds) 3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries 2 tablespoons cornstarch
1.Combine cumin and cinnamon; rub over beef brisket. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown brisket; season beef with salt and pepper, as desired.
2.Add 3/4 cup juice and garlic to stockpot; bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-3/4 hours. Add apples and cranberries to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until brisket and apples are fork-tender, stirring and rearranging apples once during cooking.
3.Remove brisket; keep warm. Combine remaining 1/4 cup juice and cornstarch; stir cornstarch mixture into apple mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture has thickened, stirring frequently.
4.Trim fat from brisket. Carve diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve beef with apple mixture.
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 6 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 2 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 2 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets 5 min ago
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- ABC7 to Go, December 20, 2013
24 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
2 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos