ABC7 Hungry Hound's Root Vegetable Gratin
December 14, 2012 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- When it comes to hearty, comforting food, au gratin tops the list. ABC7's Hungry Hound shares his favorite recipe-- root vegetable au gratin.
- 5 small potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 of a large celery root, top and bottom removed and peeled
- 1/2 of a medium parsnip, peeled and cored
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 rutabagas, peeled
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream or whole milk
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup + freshly grated parmesan
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp fennel fronds or parsley
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 425F. Butter a 9 by 13 gratin dish.
Slice the potatoes on a mandoline into 1/16" thick slices. Repeat with each of the root vegetables, keeping them separate.
Stir garlic, nutmeg, fresh thyme, and fennel fronds into the heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper.
Arrange potato slices in overlapping rows on the bottom of the gratin dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add a layer of rutabaga, sprinkle with salt and pepper, then add a layer of celery root and seasoning again. Repeat with a layer of parsnip and then butternut squash, seasoning in between each layer. Sprinkle with half of the parmesan. Repeat starting with a layer of potatoes, seasoning between each layer. Finally, top with a final layer of overlapping potatoes. Pour the milk mixture over the top until it comes to the edge of the top layer. Press the vegetables down into the milk with a spatula.
Cover with foil and bake for about 1 hour. Remove the foil and lightly press the gratin down with a spatula. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan and continue baking until the vegetables are tender the top is golden brown, 15 to 30 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Dolinsky to lead cooking class at Saranello's in Wheeling
Steve Dolinsky will also be showing people how to make that au gratin during a cooking class at Saranello's in Wheeling on December 22 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The cost for the 3-course lunch with wine is $24.95, and a portion of that goes to the charity "Meals on Wheels."
601 N. Milwaukee Ave., Wheeling
- House Smoked Sturgeon, Crostini
- Stracchino cheese, pickled shallots & arugula
- Pan roasted Amish chicken thighs, Steve's root vegetable gratin
- Black pepper wine sauce
- Mocha Carmel gelato, Amoretto granita & espresso
- Almond biscotti
recipes, steve dolinsky
- Chicago River dyeing a St. Patrick's Day tradition
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- Disabled lawyer devoted to making world accessible
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Early voting for primary races ends Saturday
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CPD officer remembered as 'true blue knight'
- Kennedy Expressway reversible lanes closed Saturday
- Mega Millions jackpot swells to $400 million
- Video: Noel O'Conner, Mayor of County Cork, Ireland
- Film offers glimpse of 1940s-era Chicago
- abcnews: Doctor Performs Illegal, Cut-Rate Butt...